Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 4K connect to bose system?

I just bought the latest Apple TV 4K and was surprised to see that there is only a HDMI Port to the TV, but no optical audio port?!? How do I connect this to my surround sound stereo?!?

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 4:21 AM

HDMI carries both audio and video signals. There is no need for extra audio cables when using HDMI.

Once you connected HDMI cable to both Apple TV and the TV, you should use an optical cable to carry the audio signal FROM the TV TO the Bose system.

Note that if you Bose system has also Bluetooth connection, you can connect it to the Apple TV.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2017 4:21 AM in response to A-Rodz

HDMI carries both audio and video signals. There is no need for extra audio cables when using HDMI.

Once you connected HDMI cable to both Apple TV and the TV, you should use an optical cable to carry the audio signal FROM the TV TO the Bose system.

Note that if you Bose system has also Bluetooth connection, you can connect it to the Apple TV.

Nov 22, 2017 11:22 PM in response to A-Rodz

depend on the setup really some receivers you connect the hdmi to it and pass a hdmi cable to the tv

some setups you connect the hdmi to the tv and it pass the audio to the receiver

there are also splitter boxes which you can purchase which split the audio and visuals of the hdmi signal (some work poorly if at all though in terms of hdcp and 4k resolutions)

apple tv 4K connect to bose system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.