Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule - Internal disk needs repair

This message has appeared under the Airport Utility whilst I investigated why suddenly it was showing amber. I have regained all the functionality other than being able to access the hard disk by ticking the ignore button. I cannot find any option that you have under Disk Utility to repair the disk so is my only solution to replace the Hard Drive? I am not overly concerned at losing the data as I have it securely backed up elsewhere.

using a 2014 mac mini with High Sierra

TimeCasule is an old 2010 1Tb model with Firmware 7.6.3.

Thanks in advance for your help

Time Capsule 1st Generation 1Tb-OTHER

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 1:46 AM

Disk Utility cannot be used to access or repair a network drive like the Time Capsule. It will only work on a drive that is connected directly to a Mac via USB, FireWire, etc.

As long as you are not worried about losing the data on the Time Capsule drive, it might be worth a try to erase the drive using AirPort Utility to see if that will "repair" the drive. Use the Zero Out Erase option, which will likely take 4-5 hours.....IF......the drive will allow this to occur.

If that does not work, then you might want to think twice about replacing the drive on the Time Capsule since the power supply on a 2010 model is also going to go at any time. In other words, it would not make sense to replace the hard drive unless you also plan to replace the Time Capsule power supply at the same time.

Rather than try to perform major surgery on a 7+ year old product that was designed to only go 3-4 years, it might simply be time to retire the Time Capsule.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2017 1:46 AM in response to LeighBarton

Disk Utility cannot be used to access or repair a network drive like the Time Capsule. It will only work on a drive that is connected directly to a Mac via USB, FireWire, etc.

As long as you are not worried about losing the data on the Time Capsule drive, it might be worth a try to erase the drive using AirPort Utility to see if that will "repair" the drive. Use the Zero Out Erase option, which will likely take 4-5 hours.....IF......the drive will allow this to occur.

If that does not work, then you might want to think twice about replacing the drive on the Time Capsule since the power supply on a 2010 model is also going to go at any time. In other words, it would not make sense to replace the hard drive unless you also plan to replace the Time Capsule power supply at the same time.

Rather than try to perform major surgery on a 7+ year old product that was designed to only go 3-4 years, it might simply be time to retire the Time Capsule.

Nov 24, 2017 1:53 AM in response to LeighBarton

You cannot repair network drives from disk utility.

The only options in the airport utility are to erase the drive.. and this will not work if the drive has failed to point of not showing up on the disk tab.

A 2010 TC.. is either Gen2 or Gen3.. in either case it is fortunate to have survived 7 years.. I would replace it post haste.

Even if you can replace the drive the power supply will die next.. and in fact the issue could be power supply not hard disk even now.

If you want reliable backups then think it through.. if you use the TC as router well it is well due updating anyway... but certainly for backups it is time to move on.

Nov 24, 2017 1:52 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you both, I must admit I hadn't thought about the power supply issue, a point well made and I will not worry about investing in it further. I invested in a dual raid NAS earlier this year with a separate stand alone hard drive so I think my back up options are well covered. As such I really now only use the TimeCapsule to connect the printer to the network and for connection of other periphery devices. I had thought of re-configuring the TC to back up other devices but from what you say I think I will just let it run as is until it eventually dies. I might scrub the hard disk however whilst I can still see it on the network!

Thanks again for you help on this.

Nov 24, 2017 11:49 AM in response to LeighBarton

If you want to run the Time Capsule as an airport extreme just pull out the hard disk. That is not very difficult.. read the instructions here.

Apple Time Capsule Model A1302 Repair - iFixit

That helps to offload the heat and a fair percentage of the load on the power supply.

You can put the hard disk in a regular USB to Sata enclosure of some sort if you want to access it .. sometimes with a decent power supply it may work.. but it is still a drive that is EOL and time to replace.

Time Capsule - Internal disk needs repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.