Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App Inaccurate Distance

Just thought you might be interested in knowing ...

The "Walking + Running Distance" measured by the Apple Health app is somewhat inaccurate. This has been the case for several iterations of the app, and on different iPhones, and continues in iOS 11.1. The error varies but is generally about 10% less than the actual distance walked/run. (Good news for folks who use the Health app for measuring your workout - you've gone farther than you think!)

How do I know the app is inaccurate? I've used the app on very accurately measured flat walking/running paths (including a 1/4 mile track, a bike path, roads, etc.), and the app is consistently about 10% short of the actual distance.

Perhaps more importantly, this doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. The MapMyWalk app is very accurate, to within a few yards of a mile, and the Apple Health App is always 5% to 10% short of the actual distance and the distance measured by MapMyWalk. Seems there's something odd about the way the Health app interprets/uses GPS readings.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 3:25 PM

I have the same experience with both apps as you do. In addition, Strava correlates much more closely to MapMyWalk than to the Apple Health App.

When covering the same course with a companion also using the Apple Health App the differences between our individual distance measurements are statistically significant.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2017 3:25 PM in response to jas2

I have the same experience with both apps as you do. In addition, Strava correlates much more closely to MapMyWalk than to the Apple Health App.

When covering the same course with a companion also using the Apple Health App the differences between our individual distance measurements are statistically significant.

Health App Inaccurate Distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.