Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"There is a problem with your iPhone." Activation error message?

Hello. I have an iPhone 7 that I've been using for over a year now. I recently upgraded and was planning on giving this phone to my younger brother (he's still got a 4s and he's been needing an upgrade for a while now). I deleted my iCloud account from it and did a reset. After resetting it and going through the setup, I was meant with the following error:

"There is a problem with your iPhone. The iPhone cannot be activated for service. Please contact your carrier or AppleCare."

I've done my fair share of iPhone setups, but not once have I ever seen this. Upon doing a quick search on the internet, I've seen some people say things like "it's lost or stolen" or "iCloud locked". For one, I got this from my local Apple store brand new so that can't be the case. Two, I literally just removed all my account info so it can't be iCloud locked either.

I took it to that very same Apple store the next day where a genius tried to help me out. I told him that I am the original owner and removed my Apple ID. No such luck. Best info I got from him was to go to my carrier and see if they can help me. So on the way back to my house I stopped at an AT&T (my phone carrier) but to no avail.

Now what do I do? I don't see anyway I can input my Apple ID in case I did for whatever reason fail to it. Could it be a hardware issue? It was working fine prior to the reset.

I took a photo of the phone so you can see the error. Don't really know if that will help or not.

User uploaded file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3, null

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 2:35 PM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2017 2:48 PM in response to csaputo824

Your best option is to escalate the matter to advanced support at Apple to obtain a clear understanding of what Apple's perspective on the case is. Apple will indicate there is something that it needs to do or the carrier needs to do in order for the phone to work.

That does not mean either party would be required to do what might be needed but at least you would know what the issue is in the event it cannot be resolved.

Neither Genius Bar staff nor tier 1 carrier representatives normally address complex and unusual problems. That is why escalation mechanisms exist.

"There is a problem with your iPhone." Activation error message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.