Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch and 02 Contract

I would really love a Series 3 Apple Watch as I am a horse rider and would love to not have to always find somewhere to put my phone. Unfortunately I am stuck in an 02 contract for another 12 months. My questions are:

Could I put an EE Sim in the watch and it run independently.

Could I buy the watch an run it without a Sim until I can swap my contracts.

I really want an Apple Watch but want to make sure I am future proofed as it is not something you buy every 12 months.

Thanks

Hannah

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 7:35 AM

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) has a built-in eSIM that copies information from the SIM card on the paired iPhone when setting up the built-in cellular feature. This requires a service plan for your iPhone that specifically includes support for the Apple Watch, including the carrier activating the watch on the plan.

It is not possible to have service for your Apple Watch from a different carrier to that for your iPhone.

If you do not wish to sign up with EE for your iPhone at present, then you cannot currently use the built-in cellular feature with another UK network.

However, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can still be paired, set up and used for other features whilst skipping the steps to activate cellular, offering the same functions as a GPS-only model.

The cellular feature can then be enabled later, if and when you are using a compatible service plan on your iPhone, whether from EE or another UK carrier in due course.

You may wish to contact your carrier to enquire about their plans for providing service plans for iPhone that support Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular).

You may also wish to monitor this page for further carriers being added over time:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2017 7:35 AM in response to Harperhan

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) has a built-in eSIM that copies information from the SIM card on the paired iPhone when setting up the built-in cellular feature. This requires a service plan for your iPhone that specifically includes support for the Apple Watch, including the carrier activating the watch on the plan.

It is not possible to have service for your Apple Watch from a different carrier to that for your iPhone.

If you do not wish to sign up with EE for your iPhone at present, then you cannot currently use the built-in cellular feature with another UK network.

However, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can still be paired, set up and used for other features whilst skipping the steps to activate cellular, offering the same functions as a GPS-only model.

The cellular feature can then be enabled later, if and when you are using a compatible service plan on your iPhone, whether from EE or another UK carrier in due course.

You may wish to contact your carrier to enquire about their plans for providing service plans for iPhone that support Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular).

You may also wish to monitor this page for further carriers being added over time:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Nov 27, 2017 8:01 AM in response to Harperhan

That is entirely a matter of personal preference.

You may wish to try them on in an Apple Retail Store or at an Apple Authorised Reseller.

Or, to compare the actual sizes of Apple Watch against your wrist using your iPhone:

• On your iPhone, open the Apple Store app:

Apple Store on the App Store

• Go to: Shop (tab) > Apple Watch > Shop all Apple Watch > select any model > tap on the blue link for "Compare case sizes".
  • Tap the 38mm and 42mm tabs to see the Apple Watch displayed at its actual size, for holding next to your wrist.

Apple Watch and 02 Contract

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.