Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every song is its own album

I am frustrated with trying to get albums to show up as albums. I have been dealing with this for a while and it seems like a problem that should not exist. Apple is too good to have a stupid problem like this.

I am a super-user, so I know about "Album Artist" and "Album" all having to have the exact same names to be grouped as an album. I have even done the dumb "workaround" of adding an "x" to the end of the names in an effort to force iTunes to update or renew tag info. (The fact that Apple would ever get so low as to start suggesting lame workarounds is astonishing to me. Apple's motto has always been "it just works". Windows is the system that employs workarounds!)

I have now even completely uninstalled and re-installed iTunes.....have completely wiped and restored my phone....and the problem persists. I have used a program that completely strips all tags so that I could be sure there wasn't some crazy, hidden tag messing tings up. Nothing.

Also....it cannot be a problem with the mp3 files. Because the files I am trying are ones that have been on this phone before and sorted correctly. This is a new problem with the phone OR iTunes. It did not used to happen.

After the wiping/restoring my phone, I have placed 10 songs on my iPhone through iTunes. They all have the EXACT same Album Name and the exact same Artist Name and the exact same Album Artist Name. All other tags are blank. Yet, after syncing and opening Music on my phone, it shows up as 10 different albums with one song each. It is frustrating as ****!

Screenshot One: iTunes "Get Info" screen with all 10 songs selected:

User uploaded file

Screenshot Two: Screenshot from iPhone showing songs displayed as individual albums:

User uploaded file

I am noticing that some are showing as "Mystery Girl" and others are showing as "Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl" Why would this be? Especially looking at the "Get Info" screen grab that clearly shows how they are named correctly.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 9:44 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Brazilian.Waffle

BrazillianWaffle: I appreciate your attempt to be helpful....but....

The songs weren't downloaded. These are mp3 files ripped from CDs. The most important thing to note is that these have been on this device in the past and sorted correctly. Also....it is not just this album that does this but ANY album that I put on there.

Looking for a real working solution to this ongoing problem.

Nov 27, 2017 10:58 AM in response to dwsiddall

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes won't help with metadata problems. Deleting embedded metadata from files won't update the information that iTunes has already gathered. It won't, for example, read the non-tag and wipe out all of the currently set fields, however when an untagged file is added to the library the filename is used as the track name and other fields are generally blank or set to default values.

How and why iTunes and Apple devices are able to treat items with matching data as separate items is beyond me, I don't have access to the code, but it does happen. Since it happens, and Apple haven't managed to fix it in the 10 years that I've been using iTunes I think it makes more sense to focus on using workarounds when you need them than rail against their necessity. Use Feedback - iTunes - Apple to let Apple know what you experience, but I would't wait on a fix. The trailing X method is one approach. Deleting the tracks from the library and adding back again may also work, although only if the files are correctly tagged. The second approach also loses ratings, play & skip dates & counts, date added and playlist membership.

Usually if you fix up iTunes so that it only shows one instance of an album in various views that are normally album sympathetic (for example songs ordered by track no. isn't) then syncing that to a device should result in a single copy of the album on the device. If you still get repeats then removing the album and adding it back again may sometimes help.

You haven't said whether you're using either Apple Music or iTunes Match, but given these are .mp3 files that probably isn't relevant in this case. However it is worth commenting that both services can potentially impact on grouping behaviour. There can also be issues if you make corrections to the metadata of purchased tracks as iTunes or devices may on occasion update themselves with the store version of the tags. I like all my metadata in true Title Case, but I sometimes find my device will have reverted to lower case for little words such as "of".

You also haven't shown the sort tab of your grouped Get Info dialog. I've no reason in this case to suspect that you would have mixed values in there, but obviously if you did that could be part of the issue.

iTunes (before Album Artist in version 7 I think) and Apple devices (before iOS 4) used to group albums only on the album field, which caused problems when more than one artist released an album with the same title, Greatest Hits being the most common example. The listings which include the album artist may be a side effect of some mechanism that is supposed to prevent such albums being incorrectly lumped together, even though in this case that is exactly what should happen.

As a matter of interest if you switch to the songs view of your library sorted as Album by Album Artist with album artwork enabled for all albums does this set of tracks show up with a single artwork image or multiple?

tt2

Nov 27, 2017 10:01 AM in response to dwsiddall

Songs typically show up as their own album when they're purchased separately.

For example:

You could buy song A from album 1. The song will be listed as its own album.

You could just buy album 1. The album will show as an album.

It's just the way Apple displays content in iTunes, not a bug.

If anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, that'd be great, as I don't use iTunes a lot, but have a little bit of experience with this topic.

Hopefully this clear up any confusion.

Every song is its own album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.