Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XBOX One X and AirPort Extreme

After lots of searching and chatting (here, Microsoft, Bungie, my ISP, ...) I'm posting here to see if anyone can provide some suggestions.

I have connected an XBOX One X, over wired ethernet, to an Apple AirPort Extreme.

The problem I have is that occasionally XBOX/Destiny2 will complain it's lost the internet. No actual error code. It just lost the internet and then it kicks you out of the game and you have to start all over. (not fun)

AirPort is the latest model, purchased a month or so ago.

AirPort is running v 7.7.8

The game manufacturer (Bungie) suggests using UPnP. From what I've learned, Apple's AirPort Extreme does not support UPnP. Correct?

Which means, I need to use port forwarding.

Under the network tab of AP Utility ...

I reserved an IP address for the XBOX under DHCP Reservations.

I then added the XBOX to Port Settings.

Following are the port settings, from Bungie/Microsoft:

Firewall Entry Type: IPv4

Public UDP ports: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500, 1200-1299, 1001

Public TCP ports: 53, 80, 443, 3074, 7500-7509, 30000-30009

Private UDP ports: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500, 1200-1299, 1001

Private TCP ports: 53, 80, 443, 3074, 7500-7509, 30000-30009

I'm not sure what the difference is between Public and Private, other than the suggestion I had seen to make the ports the same.

Bungie recomends some of the ports to be OPEN/UNBLOCKED and some to be FORWARD INBOUND. Apple doesn't seem to use Open, Blocked or Forward in their configuration, so I simply made sure all the ports they were asking for were both Public and Private.

I have family members with this configuration (different ISP) and they do not have any issues. So I know an Apple router can be made to work.

I've seen some suggestions to create an Open NAT, creating a DMZ for the XBOX. I haven't tried this yet, mainly because I'm not sure how to do this. The suggestion I saw had the followign:

Create a static IP address for the XBOX, outside of the DHCP range. (not sure how)

Enter this static IP address in AP Utility, Network > Network Options > Enable Default host.

I'm willing to give the DMZ option a try, if I fully understood the configuration steps.

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 27, 2017 12:17 PM

11 replies

Nov 27, 2017 12:36 PM in response to 1 Open Loop

The game manufacturer (Bungie) suggests using UPnP. From what I've learned, Apple's AirPort Extreme does not support UPnP. Correct?

Sad but true.

I need to know if you are on cable internet .. if so what modem do you have. Make and model please.

AE has issues with Arris (surfboard) modems.

The IP of the xbox must be static for port forwarding to work.. or DMZ.. you do this on xbox itself.. or use DHCP reservations in airport utility.. here. This will be inside the DHCP range.. it does not matter which way you go.. but choose one or the other.. DHCP reservation tends to mean the arp table of the AE will be kept up to date better.

User uploaded file

Click the + below the box for dhcp reservations.

Description is your term. use one word.. like xbox

User uploaded file

You also have the option to set by ID

User uploaded file

But generally people use the MAC address which should be printed on the bottom label of the xbox.

Create a static IP address for the XBOX, outside of the DHCP range. (not sure how)

Enter this static IP address in AP Utility, Network > Network Options > Enable Default host.

As above .. the IP must be static but it doesn't have to be outside DHCP.. however it is a good idea if you setup directly on the xbox. A 10sec google search will get the info.. here is one I prepared beforehand.

Setting up a static IP

Before you can start to set up a static IP, you will need some information about your console's current network setup. This is how you find it:

- Start on Xbox One's Dashboard.

- Navigate to Settings > All Settings.

- From there, choose Network > Network Settings > Advanced settings.

Here you will find a list of network details. Please write down all of the numbers you see here. You will need them later.

In the same menu, select IP Settings > Manual. You will be prompted to enter an IP Address, Subnet mask and Gateway. Please use the details you wrote down earlier to populate the fields.

(This method is fixing it inside the DHCP range.. you can also select IP >200 eg by default the AE uses 10.0.1.2-200 so set the Xbox to 10.0.1.201)

Then, go back to the Advanced Settings screen and select DNS Settings. Enter Primary and Secondary DNS Address from your notes.

Back on the Advanced Settings screen, please press Save. You have now set a static IP address for your Xbox One.

For more information, please visit the XBOX WEBSITE. If you need further assistance setting up a static IP, we recommend that you CONTACT XBOX SUPPORT directly.

Nov 28, 2017 9:20 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

Why use a Cisco router?

Years of experience with Cisco hardware working for a large Aerospace firm gave me the background necessary to fully utilize their products. I found them to be dependable and much more feature-rich vs. basic consumer-grade routers like those form Apple. However, the primary reason I went with a Cisco router for my "main" router was because it met most, if not all, of my networking goals BEFORE I purchased it.

For most folks, Cisco may be "too much" router for their specific goals. Apple fills this niche perfectly by providing a product that is easy to setup and operate. There are numerous other vendors that provide routers that fall in either the consumer-grade or business-grade categories, and in-between.

And why use an AirPort?

For two simple reasons:

1. They met my networking requirements at the time I purchased them.
  2. To get familiar with them so I can help others here at the ASC with any issues that they may come across.

I've considered a non-Apple Router (since you never know when Apple decides to get bored with something and drop it). But most other options seem to require Windows application to access them.

FWIW, I "experiment" often with other networking products. (Just can't get the Engineer out of me.) For example, I am currently introducing Ubiquiti UniFi Pro WAPs into my home network, replacing either outdated or failing AirPort base stations. These WAPs do use a vendor-specific app to administer them, but this app is available for a number of operating systems, including both Windows and macOS. I'm also looking into either the Ubiquiti EDGE router or the UniFi Security Gateway as a replacement for my current Cisco which is no longer being provided by the manufacturer.

Nov 27, 2017 1:22 PM in response to 1 Open Loop

In addition to LaPastenague's comments, I do not have an Xbox One X, just an Xbox One and also play Destiny 2. In my case, although the console is connected to an 802.11ac AirPort Extreme base station Ethernet by way of a Cisco Ethernet switch, the base station is configured as a bridge. My "main" router is another Cisco product (RV180) that provides my home's network routing functions. It is also enabled for UPnP. I did not need to do any port forwarding or use a DMZ for the Xbox and still have "Open NAT" status for full Xbox Live! access.

Regardless, disconnects from the Destiny servers, still occur. This happened with Destiny 1, as well. What I'm getting at is, from my experience, it has been the Bungie's servers that have been the primary culprit for these "lost" connections.

Nov 28, 2017 5:50 AM in response to LaPastenague

Well I took down my internet and hooked up the XBOX directly to the modem. Played for over an hour, including PVP public event stuff with no issues. Not a completely exhaustive test, but enought to have me leaning towards my ISP not being the issue.

Sadly, I have the dreaded Arris cable modem.

Model: TM1602A

P/N: TM02DLD1602P2

So Apple's term for DMZ is the Enable default host at: setting? Thanks Apple!

I think my next step is to try the DMZ/EDHA configuration.

It sounds like the best DMZ approach would be to configure it on the XBOX.

Using an IP outside the standard AirPort 1 to 200 range.

That seems like a rather simple solution (assuming it works) compared to the port open/forward approach of entering lots of TCP/UPD/BFD port numbers Public/Private/Open/Forward/Closed/A-Jar approach.

What's the downside? Security? Nobody does security like Microsoft.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Nov 28, 2017 9:31 AM in response to Tesserax

I have recently moved to Ubiquiti as well. I use their UAP-AC-HD. I've deployed 5 of these for full (indoor, outdoor, garage, etc) coverage. I'm very happy with them.

I also use their Cloud Key to run their Unify App. This works great, since I don't have to dedicate a computer for this. Their iOS App talks to the Cloud Key as well.

The UniFi Controller (as in the SW on the Cloud Key) works great. Easy to use. Lot's of info and ability to program. Very easy to import a layout of the physical deployment, set the scale and view an simple coverage map, by frequency/band. Easy to assign channels to each AP, to manage overlap.

Plus, their tech support has been great.

I did a lot of research, trying to find a step up from Apple's WiFi ecosystem. I'm very happy with UBiquiti. It all works great for a Mac user.

The Airport Extreme is now functioning as just a router, which is why I asked about Cisco. Initially, I installed one of Ubiquiti's PoE switches. It doubled as a space heater, so I swaped it out with a Netgear switch. Much happier. Not hot at all. Small, quite fan moving air left to right, best for rack mount.

Because of the way-too hot UBNT switch, I have not bothered with their router products. But when I ran into XBOX issues, I've started to think again about a non-Apple router.

Nov 28, 2017 9:48 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Ubiquiti devices. Yes, PoE equipment does tend to run "hot," regardless of the manufacturer.

I know that we are going off-topic from your original post, but I thought their Cloud Key was for remote administration access. Maybe I mis-understood their product literature.

However, getting back on topic, again the Cisco router provided me with the "Open NAT" for Xbox Live! that I was looking for ... but I still get the Bungie server errors from time-to-time with Destiny. I just chalked it off to my very limited (10 Mbps) download microwave Internet service as I do reside in a rural area.

Nov 28, 2017 11:13 AM in response to Tesserax

From what I understand (which is not much, hence this forum) UniFi is their App that controls their stuff. It has to run on something. So, either you have a computer always up and always running the App, or you purchase their Cloud Key. The CK (which is in one of the PoE ports on the AP switch) is always up and runs UnFi. I believe, but not certain, that their iOS App basically talks to the computer that is running UniFi. In my case, that's the CK.

The CK allows you to not only control and monitor things, but you can back up and restore configurations. (like I'd ever need a backup)

Back on topic, I'm going to try the (delta to the) DMZ approach for the XBOX, since Porting Forward has not seemed to work well enough. Even though, XBOX says all is good. (via their system level network testing) Destiny 2 seems to need more than I believe XBOX tests.

Dec 1, 2017 6:31 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

Strange isn't it.. I am retired like Tesserax but also cannot get the engineer out of me.

However I have to plan for what others will do when I am not around. I actually cannot use Apple Routers due to PPPOE requirement and a failure to work with my ISP. This is a fairly common problem.. if it hits you then you simply cannot configure the Airport to get CHAP instead of PAP etc.. Apple used over simplified system.

I was half-way to going Ubiquiti .. tried an edge router x but that particular one actually failed and I was on to edge router lite..

It certainly has very low current draw.. passive POE system that Ubiquiti is now moving away from. (POE routers and switches unfortunately do have large power supplies in them and using tiny fans tend to scream. I have been repairing a old HP POE switch.. which has a massively complicated supply).

I came across an Asus cheap that I couldn't resist.

Anyway the Asus works great.. with Merlin firmware it offers far superior options to any router in the price range and simple point and click interface for future. No issues at all because it supports UPNP as well as NAT-PMP so xbox and PS3 PS4 which litter the house.. all work without problems.

I run Apple routers either as WAP in bridge or as secondary DHCP server which works extremely well.. and is particularly good with Apple clients.. but the rest of the family run windows/android and the fact is the asus does work better for them.

Sadly, I have the dreaded Arris cable modem.

Model: TM1602A

The ethernet on the Apple router WAN and the Arris modems have some strange issue. No access to a system to investigate.. there is nothing wrong with either but the combo just does not work reliably.

I think it is much better to simply opt out.. especially as you have now got ubiquiti WAP all over the house.

Either spend the time and learn the Ubiquiti OS. Edge Router Lite and above are excellent.

Or go with something like Asus.. RT-AC68U or above. Merlin firmware is slightly better but compiled directly from Asus source so is more like beta. Generally less buggy than the real one.

Whichever suits your needs.

Dec 1, 2017 6:31 AM in response to Tesserax

I followed (basically both you and LaPastenague) on setting up the XBOX outside the AE's managed space, into the DMZ (aka: Enable default host) space.

Played online, multiplayer, for quite a while with no issues. This seems to have resolved all the various connection issues. This was arguably easier than the port forwarding approach. Plus, it's probably best to give the AE less things to do.

Thanks to you both for your help.

XBOX One X and AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.