Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Freezing in High Sierra

Finder freezes and will not allow me to move files and folders. Brand new Touch Bar MacBook Pro. This has been going on for over 10 tens now, since the last update. Apple Support Chat says the problem might be a problem with the interface between iCloud and Google Drive. However, no such problem existed until after the last update to High Sierra. Suggestions? Solutions?

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 2:52 AM

4 replies

Dec 28, 2017 6:48 PM in response to MiaziaLady

I just had this and it was infuriating, but the solution is quite simple after dealing with Apple Support

1) Do an SMC reset (Shut down, Unplug Power for 20 seconds, reconnect power and startup).

2) Do a safe restart (press and hold the shift key when you hear the startup chime, release it when you see the Apple Logo.

3) Do a Restore Restart (press and hold the Command and R keys at the restart chime and release when the Apple Logo appears, when the macOS Utilities screen appears select Disk Utilities. Select Macintosh HD and Disk repair.

It will run a check of your Mac HD and will repair if needed)

Click "Done" when prompted.

4) Restart normally - this should resolve the issue in most cases.

If this fails, contact Apple Support, if their page (or staff) advises you are no longer entitled to support (Hardware based)

request an exception on the grounds that you have purchased / upgraded to an Apple Software which is causing the issue.

Dec 28, 2017 6:52 PM in response to anonyme4321

The impression I have, based on my experience (detailed separately) is that it's a Memory Conflict issue, and getting a few things reset seems to do the trick. Even if you have an older Mac which is out of warranty, the issue has come about since purchasing / upgrading to the Latest OS, and, in most countries, my understanding is that they will grant you a support exception to guide you through as it's their new software that appears to have been the trigger / fall down point. I contacted them via chat and they were amazing.

Finder Freezing in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.