Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect wired and bluetooth headphones simultaneously

I would like to be able to use the standard apple wired ear buds and a set of bluetooth headphones simultaneously with an iPad so that two people can watch a movie together on a plane.

When I tried this recently using an iPad Air 2 with iOS 11.1, the sound in the bluetooth headphones was disconnected as soon as the ear buds were plugged in.

Is there a way to make this work?

Can two sets of bluetooth headphones be connected simultaneously?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 9:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a little surprised that it is not possible to use more than one listening device simultaneously with an iPad or iPhone.

Since I'm sure that many users would find the ability to use more than one listening device simultaneously very useful, is it possible to suggest this as a future feature for iOS somewhere on an official apple site.?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2017 9:38 PM in response to Moozito

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a little surprised that it is not possible to use more than one listening device simultaneously with an iPad or iPhone.

Since I'm sure that many users would find the ability to use more than one listening device simultaneously very useful, is it possible to suggest this as a future feature for iOS somewhere on an official apple site.?

Nov 28, 2017 11:25 PM in response to juanito_tc

Pre iPhone 7, this is/was a physical limitation. The analog audio hack has a small micro-switch in it to detect the presence of the 3.5mm male jack. If tripped, audio goes there. If not, audio goes to the speaker. if a Bluetooth device is paired, it is in the mix as choice to make.

is it possible to suggest this as a future feature for iOS somewhere on an official apple site.?

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 28, 2017 5:09 PM in response to juanito_tc

Hi juanito_tc,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your question that you would like to know if listening to audio from a single device with multiple outputs, wired and wireless headphones in your example, is possible and if so how. I’m glad to shed some light on this question for you.

To answer your question, no you cannot listen to audio from your iPhone with multiple listening devices simultaneously. Audio out will only play to one listening device at a time.

The following article does talk about how to switch the audio between different listening devices, but the audio cannot play simultaneously.

Switch the audio on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Connect wired and bluetooth headphones simultaneously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.