Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail not sending with iOS 11.1.2

Ever since upgrading to 11.2.1 on both my iPadPro and iPhone 7 I have been unable send emails. I have worked with my ISP (Register.com) and they say the problem is with Apple’s mail program or operating system. I have tried a work around by using an alternative smtp (in this case gmail) but that is also not working. Samething with my MacBook Pro. I am on the road. Any suggestions? Thanking you in advance.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 9:28 PM

Not all mail providers have the capability to support both types of mail accounts. Register would be able to tell you what type of account you have and what they support.

As far as the additional issues, what happens when you attempt to send mail? I doubt this is an operating system or mail app issue, but without the additional information as to what works and what doesn't, it is difficult to diagnose. Can you receive mail consistently? Is sending mail the only problem? What exactly happens when you attempt to send mail? Do you see an error message, and if so, what is the exact text of the error? When you were with the Genius, did you try removing the account and adding it back again?

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2017 9:28 PM in response to rjp49

Not all mail providers have the capability to support both types of mail accounts. Register would be able to tell you what type of account you have and what they support.

As far as the additional issues, what happens when you attempt to send mail? I doubt this is an operating system or mail app issue, but without the additional information as to what works and what doesn't, it is difficult to diagnose. Can you receive mail consistently? Is sending mail the only problem? What exactly happens when you attempt to send mail? Do you see an error message, and if so, what is the exact text of the error? When you were with the Genius, did you try removing the account and adding it back again?

Dec 1, 2017 7:45 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, Yes, I do receive mail consistently, sending is the only problem. When I attempt to send I get this error message:User uploaded file

Yes, the Genius Bar did remove and the account and added it again. We did that twice with the same result with Mail.

When I log in to the web mail website I am able to send and receive.

Nov 30, 2017 5:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, Thank you for your suggestion. My earlier response to you seems not to have posted. I have talked with my email provider Register.com. The techs on the first and second level walked me through all the settings several times. The results did not change. Register.com pointed to the operating system or Mail program as the issue. I am on the road so I spent nearly an hour at the Genius Bar in the Scotsdale, AZ with their top Genius and he too was baffled. His suggestion was to ask Register.com to change my account from POP to IMAP. I have not had the time to contact Register.com yet. Do you feel that might be a wise action?? Thank you again.

Dec 1, 2017 12:35 PM in response to rjp49

If you have the SMTP server, which sends the mail, set up correctly, and when you added the account back after deleting it, and it verified, you are going to have to deal with your email provider to discover what the problem is. The error that you see is a rejection sent by the mail provider. They are going to have to troubleshoot it. It does not appear to be a problem from the phone.

Mail not sending with iOS 11.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.