Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB floppy drive and High Sierra?

Is there a chance that I will get my Lacie USB floppy drive working with an OS update in the near future or do I need to downgrade my OS no matter what?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 3:06 PM

4 replies

Nov 29, 2017 3:11 AM in response to Noisebouwa

I don't think that floppies are a priority in 2017...

If you have any material of relevance in floppies still, I suggest you get some machine where you can still use your floppy drive and copy them off somewhere. Not only you can fit several thousand floppies in a mere thumb drive, but the probability of a (by now many years old) floppy failing on you is rapidly converging to 1.

Jan 5, 2018 9:14 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Embroidery machines still use floppy disks to transfer files and can cost more than a compact car. That's not an item we are going to replace any time soon and the kind of things you can make with them are amazing so yes, floppy disks are actually still relevant in 2017. I'm glad to hear you found something that works. I'll have to look into it for my machine. I was a little worried.

Jan 5, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Noisebouwa

It would cost you less to purchase a different USB Floppy drive, than downgrading your operating system — which requires wiping your drive, and no small time investment. Amazon has several available. The terms of this community do not permit us to speculate whether a future update will allow your LaCie device to work.

USB Floppy drives still work with HIgh Sierra 10.13.2 because the one that I purchased in 1999 still does. Not a LaCie device either.

USB floppy drive and High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.