Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE SUPPORT SCAM??

Hello,

I just want to ask if other people have been disposed to the following:

User uploaded file

These photos show an apple support site that appears and opens by itself on safari stating "you need to contact apple support to get malware off your computer" They tell you to call the number 18886452444 and if you call the number, some guy with a heavy accent answers and says he is apple support and tells you to download a goto control something on your computer. Luckily, I noticed it was a scam and didn't click the link, I hung up the phone and immediately contacted apple, the "real apple" and they didn't confirm it was a scam but they just said "malware or popups or something were a pain and then they gave me the assistance I needed to clean my computer. However, is apple doing anything to stop these "fake apple support people/scams"??

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 6:53 PM

There are systems that blacklist such sites, so when you try to go there, you get a message that the site cannot be accessed. But the scammers know this. As soon as a site is blocked, they just open a new domain running the same scam. Typically, they open dozens of domain names, all with essentially the same interface.

A site can't magically load itself. Something you did sent you there. An email link. A compromised site that redireted you there. A benign looking site that intentionally sent you there.

What these scammers have been doing for a while is try to get you to install remote access software so they can login to your desktop. Then they pretend to find all kinds of "problems" by showing you normal system files and pronouncing they're a virus, or some other type of malware. They'll also show you Console logs (most of which means nothing to anyone), and claim it's evidence of having been hacked.

And then for the low, low price of $399 (or some other number pulled out of the air), they "fix" it all for you. If that isn't bad enough, if you pay it, the crooks now have your credit card number to use as they wish. And who knows what else they did while having remote access to your computer? Some will try to find personal information to bank accounts, or whatever looks juicy. For added fun, they'll turn remote login and screen sharing on so even after you close the remote access software, they can still watch whatever you're doing.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2017 6:53 PM in response to barbiezinha

There are systems that blacklist such sites, so when you try to go there, you get a message that the site cannot be accessed. But the scammers know this. As soon as a site is blocked, they just open a new domain running the same scam. Typically, they open dozens of domain names, all with essentially the same interface.

A site can't magically load itself. Something you did sent you there. An email link. A compromised site that redireted you there. A benign looking site that intentionally sent you there.

What these scammers have been doing for a while is try to get you to install remote access software so they can login to your desktop. Then they pretend to find all kinds of "problems" by showing you normal system files and pronouncing they're a virus, or some other type of malware. They'll also show you Console logs (most of which means nothing to anyone), and claim it's evidence of having been hacked.

And then for the low, low price of $399 (or some other number pulled out of the air), they "fix" it all for you. If that isn't bad enough, if you pay it, the crooks now have your credit card number to use as they wish. And who knows what else they did while having remote access to your computer? Some will try to find personal information to bank accounts, or whatever looks juicy. For added fun, they'll turn remote login and screen sharing on so even after you close the remote access software, they can still watch whatever you're doing.

Nov 28, 2017 5:47 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks ... You would think with all the technology apple would have found a way already to do something about it because the site magically uploaded itself on my safari. I can't help thinking how many people get caught in theses scams. And what happens if people actually download and click the link these people tell you to download? Do they just take all the info from your computer? like can they control your computer afterwards if you download whatever it is they want you to and click the link?

Nov 28, 2017 8:00 PM in response to Kurt Lang

WOW! That's horrible! That is a really really scary thought, knowing someone has full on access to your computer with everything you have on it and then they can monitor your activity on the computer too? Wow! Thats insane! I am going to ask one more question ...... is there no way to really "lock/ 100% protect" your computer from these "scams/ hackers" if you click or download what they tell you to? There is no program that can block them from your computer if you click the link or download what they send? Thank you for the helpful information.

Nov 28, 2017 8:16 PM in response to kahjot

Yes! Agreed. Even though I didn't click the link and I already called the "real apple" and was able to get I hope all the malware off my computer, is there a scan check or something to certify that my computer is safe from being "remote accessed" or to make 100% certain that there is no more malware or any other bad thing on my computer? Now, I am still a little worried and i just want to be very sure my computer is safe. Thank you !

Nov 29, 2017 5:13 AM in response to barbiezinha

As kahjot noted, it's mostly about using your head. I know what I wrote sounds scary, but a person still has to consent to installing the software before the crooks can do anything. Just talking to them on the phone can't compromise your Mac.

I'm not sure what malware Apple removed, but if anything, it would most likely have been adware. Harmless (so far), but greatly annoying.

For the most part, all you need to do to stay safe is be selective about where you go on the web, and in particular what you download.

Never:

1) Download anything from a P2P or file sharing site.

2) Download anything from a pirate site.

3) Believe any popup that says your computer is infected.

4) Believe any popup that says you need to download Flash/Java/codec from their site.

Dec 8, 2017 6:55 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I reported that site to what appeared to be the Web site registry that controlled those IP addresses. Today I got an email from abuse@publicdomainregistry.com:

Hello,

Our team of investigators has confirmed the presence of fraudulent content on the following domain: bar-apple.com

In order to curtail the situation, we have suspended the domain.

Please contact us in case of any query.

Thanks and Regards,

Abuse Mitigation Team

Public Domain Registry

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: [#WIM-547-98272]

APPLE SUPPORT SCAM??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.