Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage3 and Yamaha Motif ES

Mainstage works fine with my Korg Kronos. Not s'much with my Yamaha. The software says it detects a MIDI device, the MIDI Port detect my YAMAHA MOTIF ES. So I go to assign the keyboard or whatever, and I get no detection. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think the process is:

Go to Layout

Choose Assign, which turns red.

Choose the Keyboard (let's say)

Play the keyboard

Assign should go off and I should now get some action...i.e. play the synth see the movement on the screen.

Not happening.

Yes, I've downloaded the drivers...several times. Running on MacBook Pro El Capitain OS X

Kinda bummed.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 28, 2017 6:01 PM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Chensa63

Hi Chensa63,

I'm using Yamaha MX61 with Mainstage 3 and each time I connect the USB cable into macbook, Mainstage recognizes it. It's not supposed to Assign keyboard in Layout screen, I guess. Even when I pull out the USB cable, Mainstage popup complain that no MIDI device is connected, then soon after I put cable again and Mainstage recognizes it. Very often MacOS works very well with MIDI devices.

Maybe Yamaha Motif ES should have a different way to communicate with "To host" connections, but I doubt it. By the way, I would confirm if there aren't any MIDI device registered inside MIDI settings of your MacOS, in order to grant that it is empty, and try to reboot machine and connect again.

Dec 3, 2017 11:31 AM in response to thcutrim

Thanks, but it just will not work with USB. I connected with MIDI via my MIO connect and it seems to working better. But I'm not able to assign all the knobs etc. like I would like. For instance, I'm trying to assign the Zone 1-4 Faders to the drawbars of the organ patch. Not working and I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. Kind of difficult to find useful information out there.

Dec 17, 2017 7:37 AM in response to Chensa63

I have used my Motif ES8 in USB midi mode with Mainstage for several years now, and never had the problem you describe with assigning the keyboard. I only experienced the problem someone mentioned earlier, when I forgot to set the Motif’s midi mode to USB... then you have to save that setting on the Motif if you want it to power up in that mode every time. It’s easy to forget that last step.

the faders are another story, though. Motif faders dont use standard midi control numbers. They use Sysex messages, so you’d have to do some additional programming to get Mainstage to recognize them. I have never bothered with that, so I have nothing to offer there.

Mainstage3 and Yamaha Motif ES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.