Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can you access the F1-F12 keys on iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard?

I have a new iPad Pro 10.5 with Smart Keyboard. I have apps that use the F1-F12 keys.

When I hit the globe keyboard key, only Emoji's are provided. There needs to be a pop-up row of F1-F12 function keys to make this a complete keyboard solution.

Apple please make the F1-F12 keys available. I'm using the US English keyboard (defaults).

Thanks

Mike

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.1.2, smart keyboard

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 11:12 AM

Using Remote Desktop apps on iPad to access Windows devices for one. Emojis aren't on the keyboard either, yet they are provided via the Globe pop-up keyboard view. Why not a keyboard option for extended keys?

7 replies

Nov 29, 2017 11:01 AM in response to MikeR57

Why f (function) keys on an iOS device?

iOS doesn’t use function keys, at all.

No apps use f-keys on iOS, either!

Explain why you think you need to use of f-keys on an iDevice that does not use these keys.

f-keys only found on full blown computers where software takes advantage of these keys.

iOS devices and apps don’t utilise those keys.

So, again, why the need?

Nov 29, 2017 11:31 AM in response to MikeR57

Yeah,

Okay.

Wasn't thinking about access to remote computers, but using native apps.

Submit feedback.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper Apple personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

Good Luck!

Nov 29, 2017 11:47 AM in response to MichelPM

ok, thanks for the Feedback link. Note that many iOS apps provide their own special keyboards for these situations, and they work without the Smart Keyboard attached. The issue (bug?) is that it seems the apps pop-up keyboards are blocked from displaying on the screen when the smart keyboard is attached. I noticed that the google keyboard is also blocked.

It seems Apple will not allow any on-screen keyboards, when this keyboard is used. I have talked to Apple Support about the issue, and they have no answers either.

Regards,

Mike

how can you access the F1-F12 keys on iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.