Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail resize image

I mean, this should be a basic function, not something you have to hunt to figure out.

I copy / paste an image into an email, the image is too large, how do I resize it? Markup only allows drawing pretty lines on the image, not resizing it. There is no drop-down asking for small / med / large images.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 5:52 PM

Hello, Mike Lipay.

It's my understanding that you're unable to resize an image in the Mail app when composing an email. I may be able to help you with this. I would check to see if you're able to use this feature with another image. Some images may not have the option to resize: Add attachments

By default, Mail inserts images at their actual size. If different sizes are available, you can choose one from the pop-up menu located on the right side of the message header.

You can also check out this article on how to resize an image: Resize, rotate, or flip an image

Resize, rotate, or flip an image

You can resize or rotate an image opened in Preview to fit into a particular spot. You can also reduce the file size to save disk space or download an image more quickly.

Change an image’s dimensions

1. If the Markup toolbar isn’t showing, click the Show Markup Toolbar button User uploaded file, then click the Adjust Size button User uploaded file.

2. Enter new values for width and height, or click the “Fit into” pop-up menu and choose a size.

• Resize the image by a percentage: Choose “percent” from the pop-up menu next to the Width and Height fields, then enter the percentage in those fields.

• Force the image to keep its original proportions: Select “Scale proportionally.” If you change either the width or height, the other value changes to maintain the proportions. If you choose a size from the “Fit into” pop-up menu, the image’s width or height may be smaller than the chosen size to maintain the proportions.

• Make the image’s dimensions smaller without losing any detail: Deselect “Resample image” before changing the width or height.

Tip: To resize multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > Adjust Size.

Rotate or flip an image

• Rotate an image: Select the image, then click the Rotate button User uploaded file (or use the Touch Bar).

• Flip an image: Choose Tools > Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical.

Tip: To rotate or flip multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, choose View > Thumbnails, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > [Rotate or Flip].

Reduce an image’s file size

1. Choose Tools > Adjust Size.

2. Select “Resample image.”

3. Enter a smaller value in the Resolution field.

The new size is shown at the bottom.

Tip: To reduce the file size of multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > Adjust Size.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2017 5:52 PM in response to Mike Lipay

Hello, Mike Lipay.

It's my understanding that you're unable to resize an image in the Mail app when composing an email. I may be able to help you with this. I would check to see if you're able to use this feature with another image. Some images may not have the option to resize: Add attachments

By default, Mail inserts images at their actual size. If different sizes are available, you can choose one from the pop-up menu located on the right side of the message header.

You can also check out this article on how to resize an image: Resize, rotate, or flip an image

Resize, rotate, or flip an image

You can resize or rotate an image opened in Preview to fit into a particular spot. You can also reduce the file size to save disk space or download an image more quickly.

Change an image’s dimensions

1. If the Markup toolbar isn’t showing, click the Show Markup Toolbar button User uploaded file, then click the Adjust Size button User uploaded file.

2. Enter new values for width and height, or click the “Fit into” pop-up menu and choose a size.

• Resize the image by a percentage: Choose “percent” from the pop-up menu next to the Width and Height fields, then enter the percentage in those fields.

• Force the image to keep its original proportions: Select “Scale proportionally.” If you change either the width or height, the other value changes to maintain the proportions. If you choose a size from the “Fit into” pop-up menu, the image’s width or height may be smaller than the chosen size to maintain the proportions.

• Make the image’s dimensions smaller without losing any detail: Deselect “Resample image” before changing the width or height.

Tip: To resize multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > Adjust Size.

Rotate or flip an image

• Rotate an image: Select the image, then click the Rotate button User uploaded file (or use the Touch Bar).

• Flip an image: Choose Tools > Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical.

Tip: To rotate or flip multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, choose View > Thumbnails, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > [Rotate or Flip].

Reduce an image’s file size

1. Choose Tools > Adjust Size.

2. Select “Resample image.”

3. Enter a smaller value in the Resolution field.

The new size is shown at the bottom.

Tip: To reduce the file size of multiple images at the same time, display the images in the same window, select them in that window’s sidebar, then choose Tools > Adjust Size.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

mail resize image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.