Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra iMac Freeze after Target display mode

I have been using my 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar with late 2013 iMac using Apple Thunderbolt adapter and Apple Thunderbolt cable for over a month with no problems, until I upgraded to High Sierra. Now I can still connect but after iMac goes to Sleep or when I am trying to disconnect, instead of disconnecting the iMac will freeze, get non responsive to Cmd+F2 and I pretty much has to force restart using power button. Anyone else having same problem and how to fix it?

Macbook Pro 2.5GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.4), iPhone 3G, 80GB iPod, 500 GB Time Capsule, 160 GB Apple TV, Sony

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 7:38 PM

11 replies

Dec 6, 2017 2:08 PM in response to Shaunik

I have this same issue. I have a late 2013 imac and a early 2015 macbook pro. Both have High Sierra. Entering target display mode using thunderbolt cable works fine, exiting does not. Doesn't matter what you do, disconnect the cable, hitting f2 again, if the machines have gone to sleep, it will not recover and I have to restart using power button. I have tried resetting SMC, zapping PRAM on both, still does not work. I can't imagine the power button restart is good for the iMac. I have this in another thread as well but no response. It seems to be related to High Sierra as it was working just fine before.

Dec 15, 2017 7:28 AM in response to kadogvideo

I also have the same issue. I have a late 2013 iMac and an early 2015 MacBook Pro 13". Both have High Sierra 10.13.2 Entering target display mode using thunderbolt cable works fine, exiting does not. Doesn't matter what you do, disconnect the cable, hitting cmd+f2 again, if the machines have gone to sleep, it will not recover and I have to restart using power button. I have tried resetting SMC and nothing has improved.

Jan 10, 2018 12:02 PM in response to SeaPapp

Yes Mike, I was able to finally commit myself to invest time in restoring a perfecting working iMac just to resolve the issue and guess what didn't change anything. Considering this issue has been there for so long and different Macs with different configurations are experiencing the same problem, it's got to be something with the High Sierra update.

High Sierra iMac Freeze after Target display mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.