Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Indesign CS3 not working High Sierra 10.13.1 How do I restore?

Hi, I just updated to High Sierra 10.13.1. After I also installed the Java updated that is supposed to make InDesign CS3 work, it's not. I need InDesign, so I'd like to revert to the old operating system, but I can't work out how to do that...I'd be very grateful if someone will give me instructions?

I don't have a time machine back up to back up to.

Thanks 🙂

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 5:54 AM

14 replies

Nov 30, 2017 1:09 PM in response to Emyolanda

yes, run from an admin account, if admin account is your main account.

User uploaded file

and yes, remove everything from the suite before you reinstall

you will get a warning about an unidentified developer. that is because this service was introduced by Apple long after Adobe released CS3 so don't panic and see this article

OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support

the selection of "unidentified developer" is no longer included in OS X 10.12 (Sierra) or OS X 10.13 (High Sierra).

You will need to click "Open Anyway" after OS X prevents the installer from doing anything after you click it.

e.g.

User uploaded file

Dec 13, 2017 8:49 AM in response to duthmanguelph

Are you seriously blaiming me for the fact you can't run software that Adobe does not support?

The method I gave you I have deployed to a number of newer macs I support for two different graphics art departments that require legacy versions of CS on newer Mac OS's and the clean install into a newly created administrative account, then installing Mac Java 6, then updating has worked on multiple systems with some limitations - however I never stated a "guarantee it will work for you" and I clearly and repeatedly stated this in my postings:

...depending on your workflow you may find CS1-6 works for you in 10.13. CS6 is not supported after OS X 10.8 and was never updated to facilitate stability with the framework any OS X variant after that. You may find there are issues that stop production, either way neither Apple nor Adobe will address this,

...issues may appear for some and not others on the same hardware and same workflow or they may not.

...CS6 was 32 and 64 bit so it might be a little more flexable and CS3 which was only 32 bit.

...which may be why sites like "roaring apps" say it's compatible without checking InDesign and Illustrator which could be really bonkers.

If you have a problem with my suggestions and repeated warnings you can let the moderators know I caused your incompatible software to not work in an OS it was never intended to work in by selecting Report Post in the dropdown.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2017 6:42 AM in response to Emyolanda

You will need a backup drive to do this:

1) back up your Mac using carbon copy cloner or superduper - not time machine

2) use the createinstallmedia command to create a bootable usb installer of El Cap or Sierra

Connecting to the Mac App Store

Connecting to the Mac App Store

3) boot off the USB drive, either via startup disk in system prefs, or by shutting down, plugging in usb drive, holding option on keyboard, then pressing power and selecting the USB drive

4) erase your disk using disk utility on the installer - step 3 of this link

5) reinstall El Cap or Sierra

6) in the setup assistant, you can try to migrate data using your ccc/sd backup - if this fails, you will need to set up as new and manually migrate data

Nov 30, 2017 6:56 AM in response to Emyolanda

the Apple Java 6 has nothing to do with making CS3 work. it is necessary for the framework of legacy versions of Photoshop to be present in order to launch it, not support it. CS3 was depreciated years ago and Adobe had moved to 64 bit applications, just as Apple has moved on to 64 bit OS's.

While legacy versions of CS may run on newer OS there is a limit as to what you might expect if you do get them to launch without crashing and unfortunately InDesign and to a lesser extent Illustrator are the most effected by the progression of technology, Photoshop is the most stable of the bunch but if you are working Hi-Res that all goes out the windows.

What you can try is boot to an administrative account; remove all instances of CS3,

Uninstall Adobe Creative Suite 3 and Adobe Creative Suite 3 products

and any remaining components that were not removed by the removal process.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

make sure you are using the Apple Java 6as Oracle Java is for web apps only.

Reinstall the CS app, run in the admin account and see if works. Any issues you have will be inherent to what you are trying to do and you may consider an alterntivie if Adobes policies on software are not advantageous to you.

Dec 11, 2017 6:10 AM in response to duthmanguelph

Use the Apple Java 6, not the Oracle Java. Oracle Java is for web applications; not for stand alone applications.

Apple Java 6

Again, depending on your workflow you may find CS1-6 works for you in 10.13. CS6 is not supported after OS X 10.8 and was never updated to facilitate stability with the framework any OS X variant after that. You may find there are issues that stop production, either way neither Apple nor Adobe will address this, Creative Suite is not longer sold or supported by Adobe. Photoshop appears to be the most stable of the suite, Illustrator and InDesign appear to be the most unstable and at times inoperable.

Nov 30, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Emyolanda

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Obviously my knowledge is lacking, so I'm not sure I can completely follow your instructions.

I removed all instances of CS3 - thanks for the link 🙂

I don't know how to find any remaining componants - should I have uninstalled Bridge too?

"run in the admin account" - does this mean my computer's admin/main unser account?

Thanks,

Emma

Dec 1, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Emyolanda

CS6 is not supported by Adobe in 10.13 but that means Adobe is not testing it or would patch it even if they found it can go in your wallet and subscribe to pr0n sites with your credit card; but CS6 was 32 and 64 bit so it might be a little more flexable and CS3 which was only 32 bit. The big question mark here is what did Apple change in their framework between the OS that supported CS6 (OS X 10.8) and now because it was designed to run in 10.8 - that being said I have two systems running CS5 in 10.9 and one system running CS5 in 10.10 on an M-F 9:00-5:00 with three designers who are almost exclusively relying on InDesign, but that's not CS6 in 10.13

My experience with a number of users running various legacy versions of CS in newer OS's is Photoshop is far and away the most stable you could expect; which may be why sites like "roaring apps" say it's compatible without checking InDesign and Illustrator which could be really bonkers. The font list in both of these can go haywire and there is no fix for it if you run into it. The issues may appear for some and not others on the same hardware and same workflow or they may not.

If you can somehow get CS6 to work and NOT have to pay Adobe's highway robbery price then thank your higher power (right now mine is Robin Wright; she's awesome.) I would at least try it but before I installed I would create a new/clean admin account from which to install/launch/update it from initially.

Dec 1, 2017 8:21 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

My installation of CS5 runs under High Sierra 10.13.1, so I would imagine that CS6 would also run. The occasional glitches I've found are that apps (InDesign & Illustrator) report a crash on quitting but as I ALWAYS save files prior to quitting the app this is little more than an annoyance.

I have subscribed to the Creative Cloud Photoshop&Lightroom package, which co-exists quite happily with its older siblings.

Indesign CS3 not working High Sierra 10.13.1 How do I restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.