Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Can’t Quit/Close Apps While On Phone Call

Whenever I’m on a phone call and I navigate away from the call, I cannot quit/close apps until I have hung up the phone call. Even though I force press and the red circle icons appear on the open apps in the app switcher, tapping on them does nothing, and neither does swiping them up. Yet the moment I hang up the call, I can once again quit/close apps.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know of a fix?

iPhone X, iOS 11.1.2, null

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 3:54 PM

Thank you for your reply. I understand the information about Background App Refresh. And I’m aware that I don’t HAVE to quit/close apps that are running in the background.

My question though is if I WANT to quit/close apps while I’m on a phone call, then WHY isn’t it working? That’s the question I’m trying to answer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2017 3:54 PM in response to askbarnabas

Thank you for your reply. I understand the information about Background App Refresh. And I’m aware that I don’t HAVE to quit/close apps that are running in the background.

My question though is if I WANT to quit/close apps while I’m on a phone call, then WHY isn’t it working? That’s the question I’m trying to answer.

Nov 30, 2017 1:52 PM in response to ndoval48

This is what Apple says about apps running in the background (Apple words are underlined and bolded) -

After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources. With Background App Refresh, suspended apps can check for updates and new content.

If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again.

It is not necessary to continuously close apps.

Feb 5, 2018 7:43 AM in response to askbarnabas

"It is not necessary to continuously close apps."

I'm kinda of really tired of hearing this response.

All the troubleshooting steps from forums, Apple, Genius Bar, etc. say first close all apps. But Apple continues to insist we don't need a "close all" button. And not being able to close apps while on a call, and having the "low memory" supposedly non-existing condition occur and knocking out my bluetooth FIRST, is not acceptable. I wear hearing aids and the first thing that happens is the bluetooth for one OR BOTH hearing aids drops out. The "fix" is to close all apps. Hard to do when prevented while on the phone call I'm trying to also be a part of. There are some definite lessons Apple needs to take from the Android world, I still prefer the Apple ecosystem and more consistent behaviour/design between apps, but silly issues like this where Apple insists on drawing a line in the sand are ridiculous.

Feb 5, 2018 7:48 AM in response to dj69xxxxxxxx

The other "brilliant" response I get from even escalated Apple support is to reset my phone with no restore from backup because "some app" I have installed "might" be causing whatever problem we're troubleshooting. Not having the capability of troubleshooting this without the user having to go through the very inconvenient process of "starting all over" is patently not acceptable. For Apple to provide no diagnostics (like even telling me what process/app is killing the performance of my phone "right now") is another sign of either laziness on the part of their developers or just a complete non-caring for their power users. I use a ton of apps during the course of a day (usually at least 100 in the multitasking picker by the end of a week if I don't keep closing them) and forcing me to "reset everything" is just not a valuable or practical "answer."

iPhone X Can’t Quit/Close Apps While On Phone Call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.