Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't change netbios name and workgroup

I can't change netbios name and workgroup.

After I have change it and apply old names always back again.

Could you please provide a work-around.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 2013 HD5000

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 4:38 PM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2017 3:41 PM in response to MaximM

Following the almost always helpful JAMF public discussion pages - see this entry:

Script to Change workgroup - Jamf Nation

I tried forcing the Workgroup entry of /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist to a new name using both /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy and the defaults terminal mode command. Both commands did work. I confirm this with the Print command of PlistBuddy For example with PlistBuddy my session looked like:

% sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist

Command: Print

Dict {

ServerDescription = Fred’s MacBook Pro

NetBIOSName = FREDS-MACBOOK

AllowGuestAccess = false

LocalKerberosRealm = LKDC:SHA1.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Workgroup = WORKGROUP

DOSCodePage = 437

}

Command: set :Workgroup NEWNAME

Command: Save

Saving...

Command: Print

Dict {

ServerDescription = Fred’s MacBook Pro

NetBIOSName = FREDS-MACBOOK

AllowGuestAccess = false

LocalKerberosRealm = LKDC:SHA1.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Workgroup = NEWNAME

DOSCodePage = 437

}

Command: Exit

I also succeeded in changing the Workgroup entry value with the a defaults command like this:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server Workgroup "NEWNAME"

However even though after rebooting and confirming that the Workgroup entry showed NEWNAME, the WINS tab in the network control panel still showed WORKGROUP.

So it looks like High Sierra really changed something here because the JAMF post was from 2011 and apparently this kept working since since there are no further comments mentioning problems.

Jan 17, 2018 10:34 AM in response to FrederickLuehring

I have the same issue. What I have noticed that I can change the workgroup name using /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy and persist it but after rebooting it gets overwritten and I'm back to what it was before i.e workgroup.

When I login and print the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist I can see the correct value for about 15 seconds.

I can't change netbios name and workgroup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.