Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monitoring problem

I just upgraded from Garageband. I loaded a Garageband song into Logic Express to get started, but am unable to get any sound output. I'm setup with my M-Audio Fast track pro as input, and I'm I'm trying to use my G5's built in audio as the output. I'm getting lots of action on all the level meters in the Arrange window, but no sound from my mixer.

I'm sure I set Logic Express up to to use 'built in audio' as its output. It worked for Garageband. I notice the core audio pane for Logic Express doesn't over an output option.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Something simple I'm sure.

thank You

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 16, 2007 8:42 AM

7 replies

Jan 16, 2007 8:50 AM in response to Ramana

Sounds like you need to set up an 'aggregate device' in Audio/MIDI set up (in your utilities folder).

Add the Fast Track as inputs, built in audio as output, and then, in Logic's preferences, select your new aggregate device (or whatever you named it) in the audio drivers popup.

There's a similar thread here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3776236&#3776236

Jan 16, 2007 9:56 AM in response to Ramana

I'm having trouble setting up the Aggregate Device. When I go to the 'audio midi setup' there doesn't appear to be any option to set up an Aggregate Device.
I see only 'default output' and 'system output' both of which I have set to 'built in audio.' But I still get no output from Logic Express.

Has anyone a suggestion?
Thanks again.

Jan 16, 2007 10:00 AM in response to Ramana

Sorry, I misled you. I just now noticed that you're using Panther, not Tiger.

Aggregate devices were only introduced in 10.4. (Tiger)

AFAIK, there is no simple way you can have a different input and output device in Logic, although Garage Band enables this.

I'm not familiar with the Fast Track. I assume it has outputs, so why not use the Fast Track for both inputs and outputs? Just connect your amp or self-powered monitors to the FT outputs.

Jan 16, 2007 10:39 AM in response to John Alcock

I am using Tiger 10.4.8. I going to have to change my profile. I upgraded so I could get LogicExpress. If I have to, I will use the Fast Track for both, but I would like to get the built in output working with Logic.
Thanks again.

So, how do I access the Aggregate Device option? it doesn't seem to appear in the audio midi setup?

Sorry, I misled you. I just now noticed that you're
using Panther, not Tiger.

Aggregate devices were only introduced in 10.4.
(Tiger)

AFAIK, there is no simple way you can have a
different input and output device in Logic, although
Garage Band enables this.

I'm not familiar with the Fast Track. I assume it has
outputs, so why not use the Fast Track for both
inputs and outputs? Just connect your amp or
self-powered monitors to the FT outputs.

monitoring problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.