Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K on non-4K HDTV

Hi,

I just purchased an Apple TV 4K 64GB, but my television does not support 4K display. This is my first Apple TV device and I purchased what was available from Target. My question is how do I adjust the display settings so that I do not damage my television?

From what I understand this device will work on non-4K televisions much in the same way as Roku's devices that support 4K do, but seeing as this is my first Apple TV device and I am waiting on it to be delivered, I was hoping I could get a few pointers from those on the forum who are more familiar with Apple TV 4K that I am as I am intending to test the device over the weekend.

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 30, 2017 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 7:21 AM

Hi Munkmajik,

I was curious because I have been reading reviews and trying to learn as much as I can before I get the device in my hands, but one thing I also don't understand is there is a lot of content that I have read with regard to HDR and SDR. To be honest, I don't really know the ins and outs of that so that was one reason why I was curious because I know that a 4K display is supposed to be sharper and I do not want to damage my TV though other devices that I have used including Roku that are capable of putting out a 4K display work just fine on my television, but like I said seeing as this is my first Apple TV device I want to know all I can beforehand.

Thanks.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2017 7:21 AM in response to munkymajik

Hi Munkmajik,

I was curious because I have been reading reviews and trying to learn as much as I can before I get the device in my hands, but one thing I also don't understand is there is a lot of content that I have read with regard to HDR and SDR. To be honest, I don't really know the ins and outs of that so that was one reason why I was curious because I know that a 4K display is supposed to be sharper and I do not want to damage my TV though other devices that I have used including Roku that are capable of putting out a 4K display work just fine on my television, but like I said seeing as this is my first Apple TV device I want to know all I can beforehand.

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2017 10:38 AM in response to munkymajik

I apologize if I am annoying you. I've only been in the Apple ecosystem for a little under a year so I'm unfamiliar with some things like HDR and SDR, could you please explain to me what it is and how it might affect my experience if at all? I will be using the device on a Vizio 720P TV I've had since around 2012, but I use an HDMI switch that is 1080P compatible. Like I said before, I have used other devices including recent Rokus that are 4k compatible without issue, but I want to know if I should adjust any settings after it auto-detects. I saw a YouTube video last night (I'm a writer and like to be thorough in researching) where this guy was talking about the differences between SDR and HDR, but he was difficult to understand. He did say something about how making a few adjustments would make sure that there is no damage to the display, but because I had trouble understanding him, it didn't take long for me to get lost and feel like a deer in headlights. Again, I apologize if I'm annoying you with my questions. Like most things, once I know what I'm in for and have gotten used to equipment it will become second nature and I will probably be able to help new users as well in time.

Dec 1, 2017 3:57 PM in response to bvd1022

If you don’t plan on upgrading your tv it would have been better to get a 4th Gen Apple TV. HDR won’t be supported on your tv (it’s called high dynamic range and is for better contrast). As your tv isn’t even 1080p content would be scaled down for a 720P display, it won’t harm your tv but rather you just won’t receive many of the benefits that come along with the current Apple TV

Dec 1, 2017 8:30 PM in response to vazandrew

The 4K model was the only one that was available at the time I ordered it. I figured since like I said I have used the roku's that have 4K compatibility that it wouldn't be much of an issue, primarily because OTT devices are updated so often. I do intend on eventually getting a new TV, but it won't be for a little while. One of the challenges for me when that time comes will be to find one that has a picture mode with a wide or stretch setting for non-HD, 4:3 content. The TV I have does have that setting, but I also have a Westinghouse TV that has an overscan setting that doesn't really fit well to 4:3 content and tends to chop the bottom of the picture, whereas my vizio fits perfectly with the stretch picture setting for non-HD content.

Dec 1, 2017 8:39 PM in response to munkymajik

I was going to do that anyway as a first test. I have been trying to look up screenshots of the device's display settings to make sure it will recognize the 720P or if I will need the switch, which is what I use for my connections anyway, but I haven't been able to find anything. The good thing is the switch I have is compatible with 1080P, but isn't one of those switches where that is the default setting and I can adjust it if needed.

I got word today that my shipment of the device got delayed so I might not have it until early next week.

Dec 1, 2017 9:09 PM in response to bvd1022

Personally I would have waited until the 4th gen was available (instead of paying more money for something that doesn't currently have any added benefit over the 4th gen) and then selling that for the 4K when upgrading to a compatible TV.

I also wouldn't recommend stretching 4:3 content. Even if there is no cropping it will still be distorting the image.

Dec 1, 2017 9:22 PM in response to munkymajik

The OP said eventually, so unlikely in the near future. I didn't say to sell the 4K, I was saying that it would have been wise to buy the 4th gen instead of the 4K and only get that when considering the appropriate TV in order to take advantage of it's features. These products have great resale value, so it wouldn't be much of a loss. At any rate, the point is moot as the 4K was the model that was purchased, so no use going on about it any further.

Dec 1, 2017 10:58 PM in response to vazandrew

Sorry but it's you who started suggesting the OP go back in time and get a 4th generation Apple TV and then sell it a loss to buy a new 4K one later.

The OP made it clear that

A: He was planning to buy a better TV later.

B: They didn't have the 4th generation in stock.

C: He wanted 64GB

You then gave a price comparison between a 32GB 4th generation and a 64GB 4K.

And the whole time trying to put me down and negate my comments and telling me to cease responding when it's you who is the one that keeps responding. So how about you consider taking your own advice, eh?

I was trying to help the guy out, I don't see one helpful post from you, just negativity.

Dec 2, 2017 7:24 AM in response to munkymajik

The OP clearly stated that it would be awhile before getting a new TV and I suggested that if that was the case it would have been wiser to wait however I proceeded to say that the point was moot because the 4K was already purchased. It was then you who continued to respond and ask about resale value and tried to start a debate about the difference in cost. None of that was towards helping the OP, but rather taking away from the initial posting from the OP (which is why I asked you to stop responding).

Dec 2, 2017 6:36 PM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:

Personally I would have waited until the 4th gen was available (instead of paying more money for something that doesn't currently have any added benefit over the 4th gen) and then selling that for the 4K when upgrading to a compatible TV.

These products have great resale value, so it wouldn't be much of a loss.

What's the point of suggesting something that is impossible to achieve without a Time Machine?

Also you say "...and then selling that for the 4K" because "These products have great resale value"

You stated that would be preferable. That's why I asked what the resale value was?

You never answered, which was impolite. And I am of the opinion that resale value is terrible.

You keep replying!

Dec 2, 2017 9:16 PM in response to vazandrew

So are you trying to tell me that the resale of any of those Apple TVs is $150? If so I misunderstood.

But the only Apple TV that could possibly have a resale value of $150 is the 4K 64GB.

Which begs the question, why would you resell the 4K? When you'd have to buy it again later with a new TV.

If I'm misunderstanding something I apologize but you're not making yourself clear.

Apple TV 4K on non-4K HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.