Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delamination (Staingate) on replacement screen

Just had a bizarre experience in the Apple Store in Corte Madera.

My Macbook Pro Retina 2012 screen has the delamination (Staingate) problem.

Apparently this costs $860 to repair unless:

a) it is less than 3 years from the 'original purchase date', or

b) the repair is done before October 2017 (last month).

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/24/apple-extended-anti-reflective-repair-progr am/

"Apple will replace Retina displays on eligible models purchased as far back as June 2012 until October 16, 2017, or within three years of the original date of purchase, whichever is longer..... The program has not been publicly announced, but Apple confirmed to MacRumors that repairs continue to be handled internally through AppleCare. Apple does not plan to announce the program publicly"

So, my computer is more than 3 years old, and the deadline was last month, so I would have to pay $860 to have it repaired.

Here's the bizarre part:

The screen I have is not the original screen, I had it replaced by Apple in October 2015 !

ie: the 'original purchase date' of the screen is 2 years ago, within the three year limit.

However, the store manager 'Josh' was adamant that 'we always use the original date of the computer'.

Is that not bizarre? If the same screen had been put in a newer computer, or if I had brought the computer in last month, then it would have been replaced free of charge.

Why use the original purchase date of the computer and not the original purchase date of the defective part??

Additionally: why is Apple not making this public??

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/24/retina-macbook-display-staingate/

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2017 6:34 PM

7 replies

Dec 1, 2017 7:54 PM in response to davidfromsausalito

The usual terms for repairs have been that the part is warranted for 90 days or for as long as the original warranty was in effect (whichever is longer) - I can only find a reference to that within the extended Applecare terms though. In any case, although a lawyer would have to weigh in with their opinion, my interpretation is that the warranty on the replacement screen is no longer than the original warranty, not starting when the replacement was done.

As for Apple not making this public - we are all other users here and not privy or allowed to discuss Apple's policies.

Dec 1, 2017 11:44 PM in response to babowa

Hi, I have to admit that I don't understand your response, the screen was bought 2 years ago, ie: the original purchase date of the screen is within the 3 year window.

'Josh' at Corte Madera kept repeating 'we always go by the date of the computer not the replaced part', but he couldn't actually point to any such documentation to support that.

But besides, it's a bit mean to strictly enforce a 4 year replacement window which is missed by 4 weeks, especially when that window is not publicised! And especially when the screen, again, is only 2 years old.

I have subsequently found that there are thousands of folks in a similar situation, there is even a Facebook group with almost 20,000 members - and membership is limited to those who can prove that they have the Staingate problem!

So, I have decided that when the time comes, I'm NOT replacing my laptop with a MAC, yes, they are nice machines, but if the screen only lasts 2 years they are not worth $3-4,000 dollars!!

Think of it this way, would you rather spend almost $900 to replace a screen which

has problems, and poor customer service, or spend a similar amount to get one of these beauties:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9 C/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YZ26KCY6NB3EXFB3B8Y5

That beauty has an Nvidia 1060Ti GPU, ie: capable of Virtual Reality, and, for AI it's in a whole different league.

Makes no sense, guess it's time to short AAPL, they won't be able to justify the exhorbitant cost of their products with this sort of customer service

Irony is that I actually worked with the guy who started the Mac group at Apple in the 1980s.

Dec 2, 2017 1:01 AM in response to davidfromsausalito

Babowa, just re-reading your comment regarding your interpretation "that the warranty on the replacement screen is no longer than the original warranty, not starting when the replacement was done"

Yes, I would agree with you if the screen had been replaced under warranty.

However, the screen was NOT replaced under warranty, I paid for that screen!

So, the 'original purchase date' of that screen was 2 years ago, it has nothing to do with the original purchase date of the laptop.

Again, the screen NOT replaced under warranty, it was replaced by Apple MY expense, 2 years ago.

Dec 2, 2017 8:39 AM in response to davidfromsausalito

Well, unless either of us is an attorney, our interpretations may differ except for one thing: it has everything to do with your original laptop purchase date because your screen would never be considered a "new purchase" since it was a replacement part and, according to Apple, replacement parts can be used or new and if they used the same part as was the original, it is possible that it will exhibit the same problem at some point. And, it has nothing at all to do with a warranty or who paid for it. Replacement parts have never been considered stand-alone purchases as you could not use it without it being installed into an existing device. And, replacement parts have never carried the same "new" warranty as the original device.

Arguing different interpretations is a waste of time here - we are all other users and do not work for Apple. So, I suggest you take this up with Apple which is the only way to proceed. Getting other users to agree with you does not help you win your argument with Apple.

Dec 2, 2017 9:28 AM in response to davidfromsausalito

However, the screen was NOT replaced under warranty, I paid for that screen!

in that case, there is a completely different plan you should follow.

YOU paid for a screen that should have been covered under the older Technical Service Bulletin (not a full recall). That should make you eligible for re-imbursemenet of the cost of your previous repair (because that repair should have been supplied gratis). Apply to Apple for re-imbusement of the previous cost of your repair.

if the payment actually comes through, you have a windfall that could be used to cover a screen replacement, if that is what you want.

Delamination (Staingate) on replacement screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.