Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 10.5" smart keyboard stops working occasionally

I just got a new 10.5" iPad pro and smart keyboard and despite this one issue I am loving it!

I am having a problem where sometimes the smart keyboard just stops working. Like it still has the little bar at the bottom as if it were regularly connected however the keys don't work. Usually I can fix it by completely removing the iPad and reconnecting it which is a pain and does not work every time.

If it is triggered by anything there appears to be a correlation with multitasking and perhaps the app store app.

I am afraid to bring it into an Apple store because it works 40% of the time and it would be my luck that it functions perfectly in front of an employee.

I also can not outright return it for a while because my box is at my house and I am at my dorm. I will not be returning for the next 2 weeks to retrieve the box.

What should I do? Anyone else having this issue?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 1:03 PM

Hi there Caleb K.

Thanks for joining us at the Apple Support Communities. It looks like your Smart Keyboard is working intermittently and requires you to disconnect and reconnect it. I'm happy to help you out today.

From this article - Use your Smart Keyboard with iPad Pro

Get help

If your iPad Pro doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad Pro, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad Pro. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard are in the Type position.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard from your iPad Pro.
  3. Restart your iPad Pro.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard.
Please let me know that this resolves your intermittent Smart Keyboard.

Best wishes.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2017 1:03 PM in response to Caleb K.

Hi there Caleb K.

Thanks for joining us at the Apple Support Communities. It looks like your Smart Keyboard is working intermittently and requires you to disconnect and reconnect it. I'm happy to help you out today.

From this article - Use your Smart Keyboard with iPad Pro

Get help

If your iPad Pro doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad Pro, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad Pro. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard are in the Type position.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard from your iPad Pro.
  3. Restart your iPad Pro.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard.
Please let me know that this resolves your intermittent Smart Keyboard.

Best wishes.

iPad Pro 10.5" smart keyboard stops working occasionally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.