Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Mailboxes

Hi ALL,

I posted this tread about a week ago ... but, no useable solution I found ore received ...

My Question:

I have a new iMac with macOS Sierra 10.12x running.

Now I like to Copy all the Mail Boxes from my older iMac running Yosemite to my new iMac.

Where do I find all these mailboxes in Yosemite to copy them on a USB stick.

And where do I have to drop them in macOS Sierra 10.12x

I know by now that Sierra has a V5 folder and Yosemite a V2 folder, does this makes any differents?

Thank you for your time and effort ...

Dimaxum

iMac, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 8:03 AM

Hi Smokerz,

Thanks for posting ...

Found my answer in here ... worked ... Happy.

Re: Transfering Mailboxes after a backup and reinstallation of the system

Dimaxum

3 replies

Dec 3, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Dimaxum

yes it makes a difference and do a search within the Apple support docs to find information how to transfer those mailboxes.

If that does not work then what would I do (although I did not ever have the transfer problem because I use iCloud to archive my mail) connect both Mac in target mode and do a migration.

Dec 3, 2017 10:02 AM in response to Dimaxum

See this method .

In your case it will be V2 folder for Mac OS Yosemite .

Transfer mail data from one machine to another .

Take back up of all mails in V 5 folder : Method to copy mails in V 5 folder .

Click on Go on top menu bar , hold option key click on > library > select mail folder > right click on mail folder there itself > click on copy mail > right click on extreme right hand side in column B , that is below persistence info.plist > click on paste item .

Entire mails are copied to V 5 folder .

Note : For Mac OS High Sierra the folder will be V 5 , For Mac OS Sierra the folder will be V4 , For El Capitan - the folder will be V 3 , and for OSX Yosemite the folder will be V2

Take a USB stick and copy V 5 folder into it , once it is copied right click on the USB stick and eject it .

Insert the USB stick in the second machine .

Configure new IMAP account in another machine , go to top menu bar , file > import mail boxes > import data from > select apple mail > click on continue > select the back drop folder then choose new .

When new IMAP account is opened , a new folder with all mails will appear in the mail side bar .You can rename the folder .

Transferring Mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.