You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari top info bar just disappeared.

Don't know what I did but the top Info bar on Safari just disappeared. I get it by placing the pointer on that spot. How can I get it to show all the time?? Also at the same time something else changed and overtime I start Safari it is small and has to be enlarged.. What is happening here.

I did go to VIEW and looked for changes there but nothing makes it come back..

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 7:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 7:33 AM

Are you in the full screen mode when the menu bar disappears? Try command - control - F or the esc key.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2017 7:33 AM in response to hikeencree

Are you in the full screen mode when the menu bar disappears? Try command - control - F or the esc key.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Dec 4, 2017 4:06 AM in response to hikeencree

macOS Sierra 10.13.1 Safari 11

Safari window in normal mode

User uploaded file

The bar with  logo is the application menu bar. On this Mac it is pale green because of the desktop picture.

The bar with red(close), yellow(minimize) and green(full screen) buttons is the toolbar.

To show both menu bar and toolbar, don’t enter Full Screen mode.

Launch Safari and drag the corners of the window to resize the window to fit the it under the menu bar.

Safari window in Full Screen mode

It is normal that these three red, yellow/gray and green buttons will not be visible.

User uploaded file

If you move the mouse pointer to the top edge of the screen, Safari menu bar Toolbar will drop down as shown below.

User uploaded file

To show Safari menu bar and toolbar with all these three button always, resize the window without entering Full Screen mode.

If this doesn't help:

Go step by step and test.

1. Delete Caches and test.

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari

Right click the com.apple.Safari file and select "Move To Trash.

Close windows and relaunch Safari.

2. Delete com.apple.Safari.plist file and test.

Backup your Mac.

Empty the Trash.

Quit all applications.

Hold the option key down and click the "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the drop down.

Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist

Right click on it and select "Move it to Trash".

Restart and relaunch Safari. Click “Start using Safari” link at the bottom.

If this doesn’t help, “Put Back” the com.apple.Safari.plist

Right click on the Trash icon in the Dock and select “Open”.

Right click on the com.apple.Safari.plist and select “Put Back”.

Choose”Replace”.

3. If Safari doesn‘t load a page or webpage items are missing

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204098

Dec 4, 2017 4:10 AM in response to hikeencree

From Apple support page:

Choose View > Customize Toolbar, then add, remove, and rearrange toolbar items by dragging them. For example, you can add an iCloud Tabs button that shows a list of webpages open on your other devices that have Safari turned on in iCloud preferences.

• Quickly rearrange toolbar buttons: Press and hold the Command key, then drag buttons right or left. This shortcut doesn’t work for the Back/Forward, Sidebar, Top Sites, Home, History, or Downloads buttons, or the Smart Search field.
  • Resize the toolbar: If you see angle brackets User uploaded file at the right end of the toolbar, it means the window is too small to show all of the toolbar items. Enlarge the window or click the brackets to see the rest of the items.
  • Remove a toolbar item: Press and hold the Command key, then drag the item out of the toolbar.
  • Show or hide the toolbar in full-screen view: While in full-screen view, choose View > Always Show Toolbar in Full Screen.

• Have a nice day.

Dec 3, 2017 12:51 PM in response to tygb

I tried these suggestions but my screen don't show the clicks you mentioned. Under general system preferences I can't find anything for 'automatically hide or show the menu bar'. I show nothing at all about the menu bar.And under DOCK it just adjusts the size of the bar at the bottom of my screen with all the Mac Apps. The menu bar I don't show is in Safari. Only in Safari. I must have clicked on something because it started do all this all of a sudden.

Dec 4, 2017 6:07 AM in response to dominic23

I thought I understood what you were saying about re sizing but I can't seem to do it. The pointer usually changes to a double arrow when I re size a screen. Which I've done on other screens a lot. But I can't seem to get it to work with the safari bars or main screen. What am I missing here.

Thanks for your patience with me. This is very frustrating...

Safari top info bar just disappeared.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.