Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix camera focus

On my iPhone 8 after iOS 11.2 camera is not focusing at all. Everything’s blurred at distance. Only close ups up to like half a meter are ok. Is that software related what to do?

Posted on Dec 4, 2017 1:52 PM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Coastman_R

Hello Coastman_R,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that your camera is not focusing as expected. The following article has steps you can take to help resolve this type of issue:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Your photos are blurred or out of focus

If your photos are blurred, out of focus, or have dark spots, try these steps:

1. Make sure that the camera lens is clean. If you need to clean the lens, use a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.
  2. For iPhone models that feature optical image stabilization: A metallic case or magnetic lens could interfere with this feature. Try taking a picture without the case or lens, and then compare the quality.
  3. To focus on a certain object or person, tap that object or person on the preview screen. You’ll see the screen pulse, or briefly go in and out of focus, as the camera adjusts. In photo mode, try to stay steady when you adjust the focus. If you move too far in any direction, the camera will automatically refocus to the center. In video mode, you can adjust the focus before you begin recording.

If you still have issues with the focus on your camera, contact Apple Support.

Best Regards.

Dec 11, 2017 12:31 AM in response to Coastman_R

I have the same issue with my iPhone X since iOS 11.2. The symptoms I see is that when I remove the iPhone from the case the focusing works fine, but when I put it back in the case the camera won't focus correctly. Similar reports on the internet suggest that magnets in the case may interfere with the camera. I've reached out to the case vendor as well for support.

Dec 13, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Coastman_R

Hello guys.

3 days ago I purchased the Iphone X 256G. Very happy with my purchase. I come from Android and my first time with Apple and when I seen this phone...this is it I purchased.

But when I arrive to take some picture with all setting in auto mode and what ever if i'm in low light or not, I found that the auto focus is slow. (IOS is updated 11.2)

So I decided to compare with the same setting with my other phone Samsung S8, with the same light condition.

The samsung S8 auto-focus is quasi immediate and pointed at the same exact spot the Samsung S8 still very fast compared to Iphone X.

So I tried some solution, reset the phone, re-start the phone, shooting under different light condition and pointed at the exact same spot with the exact same light amount. I tried near and far.

I wondering if you guys have the same issue under different condition.

Cause for a phone of 1700$CA vs an S8 of 1030$CA, I'm not impressed at all and I'm still thinking to return the phone.

Thanks

How to fix camera focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.