Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra upgrade causes keyboard malfunction

I do have a keyboard problem after screensawer time out - when I hit the different keys to write my password then multiple characters appears on the screen and many more than I presses.

This problem happen after HS upgrade.

What to do?

Kind regards

Kim

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 7:04 PM

Hey, Kim.

It says here you're using an iMac, so I'm going to assume you're using Apple's Magic Keyboard to go along with that. I personally haven't experienced an issue like this, but in the case this was happening, here's what I would do:

• Turn keyboard off, then on
  • Insert new batteries (check battery percentage [System Prefs > Keyboard > Bottom Left]
  • Disconnect keyboard form Bluetooth (System Prefs > Bluetooth > Hover over your keyboard, click the tiny 'x' symbol)

If you aren't using a Magic Keyboard, and are using a wired one, I've found this link for you to check out:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/14/troubleshooting-macos-high-sierra-problems/

There's a part of it which talks about a freezing cursor and keyboard, among many other trouble shoots, so it may be able to give you a hand.

I hope I helped!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2017 7:04 PM in response to CIB721

Hey, Kim.

It says here you're using an iMac, so I'm going to assume you're using Apple's Magic Keyboard to go along with that. I personally haven't experienced an issue like this, but in the case this was happening, here's what I would do:

• Turn keyboard off, then on
  • Insert new batteries (check battery percentage [System Prefs > Keyboard > Bottom Left]
  • Disconnect keyboard form Bluetooth (System Prefs > Bluetooth > Hover over your keyboard, click the tiny 'x' symbol)

If you aren't using a Magic Keyboard, and are using a wired one, I've found this link for you to check out:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/14/troubleshooting-macos-high-sierra-problems/

There's a part of it which talks about a freezing cursor and keyboard, among many other trouble shoots, so it may be able to give you a hand.

I hope I helped!

High Sierra upgrade causes keyboard malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.