Announcement: The Apple TV app is here

The new Apple TV app is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file?

What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file? Reason I ask is that I've been trying to clone my drive and the software keeps getting hung up on the photos.db file.

macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on

Dec 5, 2017 7:35 PM in response to John C Lin In response to John C Lin

Yes - the db (Database) file is the brains of the library - without it you have nothing

What is the format of the drive you are cloning to? If it is not Mac OS extended (journaled) or APFS it will not work -- Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive

LN

Dec 5, 2017 7:35 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 5, 2017 7:42 PM in response to LarryHN In response to LarryHN

It’s Mac OS extended (journaled).

The issue is that my hard drive is failing and I’ve been using SuperDuper to clone my user files before the drive dies. For some reason, when I run superduper it keeps getting hung up on the photos.db file. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do, either to move or edit the file to get superduper to properly copy it.

Dec 5, 2017 7:42 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 5, 2017 9:29 PM in response to John C Lin In response to John C Lin

The Photos database is a complex SQLite database and you can not change or edit its contents - your regular daily backup should protect your

You can try dragging the Photos library to the external hard drive and see if the finder can copy it

LN

Dec 5, 2017 9:29 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: John C Lin

Question: What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file?