Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file?

What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file? Reason I ask is that I've been trying to clone my drive and the software keeps getting hung up on the photos.db file.

macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 7:23 PM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2017 7:42 PM in response to LarryHN

It’s Mac OS extended (journaled).

The issue is that my hard drive is failing and I’ve been using SuperDuper to clone my user files before the drive dies. For some reason, when I run superduper it keeps getting hung up on the photos.db file. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do, either to move or edit the file to get superduper to properly copy it.

What is the "photos.db" file in the Photos Library database folder? Do I need that file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.