Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drawing over an app on iPad....

I want to be able to cast my iPad screen to another device - computer via QuickTime, TV via AppleTV, etc - so that others can see whatever app I have loaded on the screen. At that point, I want to be able to call attention to things on that app by circling or underlining them.

The catch: I want to be able to draw on ANY app, not just drawing or photo editing apps.

For example - let’s say I wanted to explain to someone how to play a game. I would have the game running, actively playing it, then pause, and place a circle over something on the screen, erase it, I pause, and resume playing.

I know how to do this with stills and drawing/editing programs in general. I’m looking for more of a smart board or overlay feature.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 10:57 AM

Is that for moving images, as well?

And, excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I thought with smart boards, they only record and save to the connected device just the actual marks you make on the smart board and not necessarily include the content that is being projected onto the smartboard.

Am I incorrect about this?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2017 10:57 AM in response to JNerlinger

Is that for moving images, as well?

And, excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I thought with smart boards, they only record and save to the connected device just the actual marks you make on the smart board and not necessarily include the content that is being projected onto the smartboard.

Am I incorrect about this?

Dec 6, 2017 10:46 AM in response to MichelPM

It is possible on computers and a variety of projection devices (including actual Smartboards). It seems like a logical feature to have on a tablet as well, but I am not aware of any way to do it on iPad, ergo my question to the forums. It would require a graphical overlay to be active in the background. This capability exists in Android but I can’t say that I’ve ever seen it on iOS in any application.

Dec 6, 2017 11:23 AM in response to MichelPM

Wacom and others make applications and hardware for classrooms and meeting rooms that let you draw anywhere in the screen with whatever is running on the desktop. But, they require a true multitasking operating system since the program or programs you‘re using on the desktop and the drawing software has to run and display simultaneously. Obviously iOS is completely incapable of that sort of thing.

Dec 6, 2017 9:13 AM in response to JNerlinger

That is generally a function of the projection equipment being used. There is no native way to draw on the screen directly on an iOS device if an App does not support the functionality.

For instance if you are projecting to a whiteboard, you can use a marker to draw on the whiteboard in and around the image being projected.

Some projectors may let you drawn on them, and over the image, and it will show it on the projected image.

Dec 6, 2017 10:17 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Phil,

The OP is asking the iPad to BE the whiteboard.

While this is very possible with static images and screenshots, with the right types of image editing or notes apps.

There is no way to mark up a live, active, moving image on any iDevice.

I don’t think what he is asking is even possible on a normal computer.

Yes, I understood that. Which is why I said its not possible. I just offered some alternatives outside of the iPad.

Drawing over an app on iPad....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.