Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a sim card for an Unlocked iPhone 8 Plus?

I tried connecting it to my iTunes but it says it needs a sim. It was supposed to be unLocked.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2, brand new off apple

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 10:50 AM

Being unlocked just means it can use a sim card from any carrier. It does not in any way mean that it does not need a sim card.

You need a sim card to activate the iPhone. A sim card is what provides the carrier settings and cellular phone number so you can make calls and send messages.

If you don't have one, you can borrow one from someone just to activate the iPhone, and remove it after its been

activated.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2017 10:50 AM in response to ApplePixel

Being unlocked just means it can use a sim card from any carrier. It does not in any way mean that it does not need a sim card.

You need a sim card to activate the iPhone. A sim card is what provides the carrier settings and cellular phone number so you can make calls and send messages.

If you don't have one, you can borrow one from someone just to activate the iPhone, and remove it after its been

activated.

Dec 6, 2017 10:53 AM in response to ApplePixel

Make sure to check with your carrier, and that your imei is clean and that the phone does not have a required balance that has to be paid off. This is assuming that you are buying a used phone and putting it on your network. If you purchased a new phone from a store they should have provided you with a sim card, if not then you may have to go in to check with your carrier. Who is your carrier?

Do I need a sim card for an Unlocked iPhone 8 Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.