Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra 10.13.2 restart loop

Anyone having this problem after installing the 10.13.2 update? Get stuck in perpetual restart loop. Any tips on how to fix?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 12:19 PM

15 replies

Dec 22, 2017 2:49 PM in response to Jake11189

Hi Jake,

I have gone through the exact same issue, macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. update has been quite a headache for some of us... either couldn't install and when we eventually managed to install it, it created a lot of issues, such a slow system, crash finder, system freeze, spotlight issues...

Luckily there is a way around it! Anyway try this:

• Reboot with the option key and get out of the macOS install drive and restart with your normal Mac drive
  • Check on App Store update if the 10.13.2 update has been installed
  • If not and the update is not present on the available update download then download the combo update 10.13.2
  • 10.13.2 Combo Update
  • Make sure you have a full backup, ideally time machine, as if there is anything going wrong it is the safest way to reinstall it from the recovery!
  • Update

Let me know if it was Helpful and more importantly, in a later stage if you have resolved this issue, as it seems that there are a high volume of issue with the 10.13.2 update, and it would be important to inform other users of a way to resolve it!

Otherwise if you still fail to install the update, download Etrecheck and past its report herein... It is a system reporting application widely used on support communities, it often allows to pinpoint from where an issue is coming from. Don't worry about ruining it, it does not collect data nor publish sensitive system information!

Good luck 😎

Dec 6, 2017 9:20 PM in response to Jake11189

I believe I have the exact same problem. I ran the Mac OS 10.13.2 update tonight, and now my MacBook Air will not boot completely.

I was experiencing a lot of beachballs following the installation reboot on both of my Macs, so I decided to shut down both machines again, let them sit 30 seconds, and then reboot both. While my Mac mini seems to be ok, my MacBook Air consistently shuts down three quarters of the way through the boot process.

I have been able to boot into recovery mode (Command+R) on the MacBook Air. When I try to run First Aid, everything goes along fine until it checks the object map, at which point I get the following:

Checking the object map.

error: om: btw: invalid o_oid (0x3a5d2)

Object map is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk2s1 could not be verified completely.

File system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

File system verify or repair failed.

Operation failed..

This is the second time in the past few months when a small, incremental update mucked up my MacBook Air's internal drive to the point of being unrecoverable. In the first instance a few weeks ago, I could boot into recovery mode then, too, but only using Apple's remote recovery server (not the internal recovery partition), yet both the internal drive's main partition and recovery partition, while visible, were unmountable no matter what I did. Neither phone support nor a local Apple Store could recover my drive and data, and a corrupted drive was the final diagnosis and fresh install the only solution. I tossed it up to the dangers of using beta software; however, this time I was using a golden master. At least this time the two internal partitions are visible and mountable, so maybe there is hope.

In my two decades as a Mac user, I have never had such experiences. FWIW, both instances have occurred with the internal drive being APFS formatted. Be sure to back up regularly, folks!

Macs: mid 2010 Mac mini and 2012 11" MacBook Air, both with one-year-old OWC SSD drives installed.

Dec 6, 2017 9:58 PM in response to Law Office Admin

As an addendum to my earlier message, it looks like some OWC SSD drives may be having issues with High Sierra. While my MacBook Air is not listed among those Macs with suspected OWC SSD drive and High Sierra incompatability, that doesn't mean it might ultimately be determined to have issues. Check out the following link for more information:

A Note on High Sierra Compatibility with Third Party SSDs | Other World Computing Blog

Dec 24, 2017 8:41 AM in response to Jake11189

Had exactly same problem. Forced to take my MacBook Air (early 2014) to an authorized Mac repair shop. They managed to roll me back to 10.13.1. Everything now working again but my photos library is locked/won't open because it's lookin for newer version of Photos. Rebuilding my photos from other sources.

Also, had to uninstall and re-install Norton Internet security and Malwarebytes.

Only other problem so far is Quicken 2007 (yes I'm a dinosaur when it comes to Quicken), will not auto-back up. But I can manually back up. Updates keeps asking me ig I want to install 10.13.2...and the answer is a resounding Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Dec 24, 2017 11:20 AM in response to Edward W

i found a workaround. you have to reinstall the high siera 10.13 once done. you can update to 10.13.2 and everything will be working back to normal with updated os.

i was quick on updating my os so unfortunately i wasn't able to back up my files. i know.. that was stupid. good thing i have all my files on the secondary hardrive though i have some files and apps on my main one. so i started installing mountain lion then i downloaded the iso file of high siera 10.13 then created a bootable flash drive with the high siera. after installing the 10.13 i updated the os through app store and everything is working fine now with high sierra 10.13.2 no longer rebooting by itself.

Dec 26, 2017 5:40 AM in response to qwertyemrys

I appreciate your reply, thank you. Please understand, this is only my opinion but, having to do such a complicated process to get to 10.13.2 for the mostly invisible updates it contains is not motivating me. Apple should read the threads...this is not just an isolated problem from one user. The install (from the App Store) freezes and/or crashes during installation. Having one's primary computer go into an endless startup loop from an update that is supposed to be tested and monitored by Apple and have happen what happened to me is shameful. It's not even about the repair fee that the Authorized Mac Store charged me. Considering they got my MacBook back to working order where Apple Support (both phone and chat) could not, I was happy to pay a bench service charge. Apple should be replying to us but in all the threads about 10.13.2 install problems, there is not one fix of any kind from them. Only workarounds like you suggest. Although grateful for workarounds, they should not have to be done. Apple, you really dropped the ball on this one...what are you going to do to restore confidence???????

Jan 7, 2018 2:53 PM in response to Haneefah313

I did try to get help from Apple directly. Their service people on phone and chat tried to be helpful although all the steps they took me through failed to resolve this problem. Call them, perhaps they can help you. If not, I did take my MacBook Air to an authorized Apple service provider (Not an Apple Store) in West Palm Beach, FL and they did restore my MacBook back to 10.3.1. I did buy an 80GB external drive that they used and now I back up all the time. Between the external HD and their service, it cost me $145. I was glad to pay. Beat having to do a complete reinstall of all Applications, files, etc. Disgusting that Apple has not addressed this in any thread. Sorry I do not have better answers for you.

Mar 9, 2018 2:17 AM in response to Edward W

Massive issues with my MacBook Air for the last two ‘updates’. Lost my entire profile with Sierra and now have the reboot loop. Apple care weren’t able to do anything. Nice people, but just kept going over the same stuff over and over. Got closer to some movement from google.

Seriously unimpressed. Pretty hard to do business when you lose days at a time every time Apple thinks you need an update! Love the way my phones, airport, Apple tv, MacBook and iMac work together. But I really think it’s time to switch given the unreliability...

High Sierra 10.13.2 restart loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.