Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 crashing repeatedly

For the past week, my iPhone 5 has been crashing repeatedly. The OS is updated. My memory is nearly full - 62GB out of 64 are full, but this doesn't seem like a cause for crashes. Any suggestions? Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 3:34 PM

1 reply

Dec 7, 2017 12:25 PM in response to Dwyoungblut

Hello Dwyoungblut,

It sounds like you've been experiencing issues with your iPhone crashing. I know what an inconvenience this can be, and I'm happy to help you with a solution.

When you say your iPhone has been crashing, do you mean specific applications are crashing? If so, check to see if they are updated by going to App Store > Updates. Test out your iPhone after those apps are updated. If they continue to crash, try removing the apps and then re-downloading them. To delete an app, lightly touch and hold the app until it jiggles, tap on the little X in the upper-right corner of the app, and then tap Delete. You can re-download those apps from your App Store purchased history which you can find by going to App Store > Updates > Purchased. Test out your iPhone again after the app(s) are downloaded.

If you actually mean that your iPhone is restarting itself and it hasn’t been able to boot back to the Home screen, I recommend reinstalling the iOS. Although your data shouldn’t be erased when you reinstall, It's still a good idea to back up your iPhone if you're able to. View steps on how to back up here: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch . The steps on how to reinstall the iOS are located in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen , specifically this section:

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, try to borrow one, or go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart.
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
  3. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.

User uploaded file

4. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
User uploaded file
iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

iphone 5 crashing repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.