Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Stuck in Reboot Cycle

I have been having a problem with Apple watch Series 2. I have taken it to local Apple repair facility 6 or more times. It has been sent off and a new or refurbished watch was sent to me. Still no help. I assume it is the IPhone 7 but diagnostics keep coming back clean.

I know I can unpair and repair to fix the problem. However, the reboot cycle starts again usually within a week. Sometimes the very next day.

This is the Nike RUn Club version of the APple watch.

My wfie has the Series 2 with a Iphone 6S and has had no problems.

ANY HELP PLEASE.

Brent

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 4:10 PM

13 replies

Dec 7, 2017 1:26 AM in response to brentnlisa

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next):

If you have not yet done so, update both your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Remove apps and watch face complications:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you again contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Feb 26, 2018 4:09 AM in response to tom12057

Hi

It is certainly not normal for your Apple Watch to restart unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that has been happening, the following updated set of steps may help to stop if from happening again (check performance after each before moving on to the next) - I appreciate that you may have already tried some of them, but it may help to try them again in conjunction with the other suggestions:

Check that, in respect of the instances that occur during wear, you are not accidentally force restarting your Apple Watch:

• If your watch is worn too close to your hand, the Digital Crown and side button may be pressed and held down by the back of your hand when flexing your wrist.
  • It may help to wear your watch a little further up your arm and/or with the buttons on the other side:
    • To change the configuration: on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Watch Orientation > choose the preferred wrist and side for the buttons.

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close certain apps and then restart (normally) both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

• Turn both devices off together, then restart your iPhone first:

• Check for any known issues with any third-party apps that you may have noticed are specifically affected by consulting the developers' support resources and/or contacting the developers.

If the issue persists, next unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch again:

Test by changing notification settings and/or by removing watch face complications and third-party apps:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for further assistance:

Feb 26, 2018 12:30 AM in response to brentnlisa

Hi

It's the same with my Series 2 connected to an iPhone 6s and the same with the Series 2 connected to an iPhone SE. Apple doesn't know how to fix it. I got booth watches replaced twice. But it's the same with every watch. I spent several hours with plenty of approaches to solve this. It's all about watch OS 4.2. before that the watches worked pretty good. After the update there just electronic scrap with reboots every 10 minutes.

Feb 26, 2018 4:52 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you for those hints. Unfortunately all this and more is done without success. I asked apple support for getting back my money for those watches. And wait for an answer. Since last December I spent far too much time for this. Time which I lost to spent with my family. This reminds me how it was years ago when I was using Windows. Troubleshooting every day. With changing to apple I had more time for more effective things. Maybe it is too early for smart watches. Maybe the tech companies aren't smart enough yet. I could find more people who have the same problem with there apple watches. I couldn't find anyone where there was an 100% solution.

Mar 12, 2018 7:29 AM in response to tom12057

hello, we have me and my wife a apple watch serie 1 and we have exactly the same problem as you ... I spent hours with apple on the phone he mount my iphone x and my apple watch but the problem always come back some days after initialization ... we become crazy ... I do not know what to do .... sorry for our english not very good ...

Mar 12, 2018 8:13 AM in response to brentnlisa

hello i am french, we have my wife and me a watch apple serie 1 and we have exactly the same problem as you ... i spent hours with apple on the phone it mounts my iphone x and my apple watch but the problem always comes back some days after initialization ... we go crazy ... i do not know what to do .... sorry for our english not very good ...

Mar 12, 2018 8:27 AM in response to bawong001

hello i'm french, we have my wife and me a watch apple serie 1 and we have exactly the same problem as you ... i spent hours with apple on the phone it mounts my iphone x and my apple watch but the problem always comes back some days after initialization ... we go crazy ... i do not know what to do .... sorry for our english not very good ...

So we should compare the applications present in our iphones because for my part I have no application in my watch ... is it an application or you never look for a battery charger problem? In fact I do not know where to look!

Mar 18, 2018 4:31 AM in response to mique24

Hello mique24

could be the last idea to compare the iPhone apps. There're quite a few on mine. as mi wife has the same problem, here the apps which on both of our phones are installed:

Sonos

amazon Music

IKEA

IKEA Places

Peppa Paintbox

tagesschau

Yunmai

TK

Telegram

whats app

payback

warnwetter

homepilot

netatmo security

danalock

idmss lite

netatmo

geopilot

adac

bvg fahrinfo

google maps

plus the "standard iOS apps"

which of those are the same on your iPhone?

Mar 18, 2018 12:17 PM in response to mique24

Unlikely that one of those apps on the iPhone will cause this. But even if, it is all from the app store. apple should have checked it. That's why I buy apple products (at least until now), they just worke fine. One channel to get all needed stuff. everything tested. That's why I spent more money on those products I don't want to waste my time.

Anyway, I'm using the charger wich came with the watch. Don't know if either 1 or 2A.

You're french, could you get in contact with netatmo?! If there apps are causing it, I'd bet they know it by now.

For almost 3 weeks now I'm not using the watch anyway. I might most likely want to get my money back.

Apple Watch Stuck in Reboot Cycle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.