Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad could not be activated

"the ipad could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device"

I had this problem on going after I tried to restore and update my ipad. I did all the possible ways to restore and even put it on a recovery mode to restore but nothing happened. Is there any fix to this ?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 4:01 PM

"Your ipad could not be activated because the activation server cannot be reached. Try connecting your ipad to itunes to activate it, or try again in a couple minutes"

This is what it says on my ipad.

17 replies

Dec 7, 2017 3:53 PM in response to TrickyTreat

TrickyTreat wrote:

It does not have any cellular connection nor sim card.

Well, there you go... A SIM is REQUIRED to activate it. It doesn't have to be tied to an active line of service, but it must be present, and if the phone is carrier locked, it must be from the correct carrier.

You can't activate an iPhone without a SIM.

Edit... You posted this in the iPhone forum...

So now I have to ask... is it an iPad or an iPhone? The SIM requirement does not apply to an iPad.

Jan 20, 2018 8:06 PM in response to TrickyTreat

I had the same issue, although I was trying to backup an older Ipad (MC775LL/A) in order to transfer the setup to a newer one. I received a similar message with reference to the SIM and was prompted to disconnect and reconnect the USB cord. I tried several times to no avail. In the end, I enabled "Cellular Data" and the next time I connected the unit was recognized. Backed up completed with no issues.

Ipad could not be activated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.