Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio music app folder can"t open

After the latest operating system update, i cannot access the Audio Music Apps Folder. I get the message "alias for Audio Music Apps can't be opened because the original item can't be found. I have a MBook Pro13 and am on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.1 As a result I can't access my user channel strips and instruments within Mainstage .Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 12:39 PM

I'm not really following you now.

• Did you get rid of the orphaned Alias?
  • Did you replace it with a new folder and renamed it Audio Music Apps?
  • Did you copy your all the files from your recovery folder to that new folder?
12 replies

Dec 8, 2017 2:40 AM in response to Eekza

Sounds like you have run into this behaviour due to the latest file system change.

Read this article first. It is primarily from a Logic Pro X perspective but everything applies equally to MainStage:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/small-warning-updating-macos-10-13-high-sierra/

Try this if you recognize that your Audio Music Apps folder is an orphaned alias:

1. Quit MainStage 3.
  2. Delete the Alias ~/Music/Audio Music Apps then create a new folder on this location and give it the name Audio Music Apps.
  3. Open the Terminal and paste this code followed by enter:
    open /.HFS+\ Private\ Directory\ Data?/

- A new Finder window will reveal your hidden content.
  4. Copy the content inside the 'dir_######' folder and paste it inside your new Audio Music Apps folder.
  5. Relaunch MainStage 3.

Dec 9, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Thanks for the reply@ Cuauhtemoc. Much appreciated. I followed all the steps as laid out in your reply. I still cannot load a saved channel strip setting from the Audio Music Apps file within Mainstage. It seem to me like Mainstage cannot read that folder and the user channel channel setting is empty, whereas I have saved settings within the Audio Music Apps Folder. What am I doing wrong?

Dec 9, 2017 12:52 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc

The problem seem to be in the subfolder itself. Within the Audio Music apps there is a subfolder named the channel strip setting. within that one is another called the Instrument folder. I saved all my channel strip settings within that folder. When I open that folder my saved settings appear sort of blanked. They are there but not active? i do not know how to describe properly

Dec 9, 2017 2:37 PM in response to Eekza

Just to make sure: We are seeing ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument. Right?

It could be a permissions issue.

Select the first item on your list of channel strips and press Command-I on your keyboard to view its information.

Scroll down to the bottom of the pane and see if your user has read/write permissions.

Dec 14, 2017 6:41 AM in response to Eekza

A big thank you to @Cuauhtemoc for the assistance given over the last few days. I appreciated the effort and resolve to wrestle with my problem. I have not solved the issue, but I can now load my patches on Mainstage using drag and drop directly on to the channel strips. As a result, my issue was not as acute as it was over the past weekend. As a newbie here , I was much encouraged by the assistance given.........Thankyou!!! And please forgive for responding so late ...

Jan 3, 2018 3:53 PM in response to Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc,

I can't believe it! You fixed it. Thank you. I followed your clear instructions, then relaunched MainStage and all of my presets are back! And saving new presets takes me directly to each plugin's respective folder. Just like it used to before the alias glitch.

I am so impressed by your knowledge, and grateful to you. Thanks again.

audio music app folder can"t open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.