Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with HDR & Subtitles on Apple TV 4K - Black Levels Shifting

I've noticed on my Apple TV 4k that the black levels keep shifting when a subtitle appears and disappears. This is when watching 4k HDR content. I am using a Samsung KS8000 and I've turned off all dynamic contrast and dynamic LED features, so it's not the TV. I tested using a 4k Blu ray with subtitles on my Xbox One X, and it didn't have an issue at all. Check out these two videos I took.

https://twitter.com/teamspacepod/status/939228090139471873

KS8000 Apple TV 4K HDR issue in Dolby Vision Movies - YouTube

Anyone have a fix or is this a glitch? Really disappointing if I have to leave this in SDR mode, we watch

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 12:28 PM

8 replies

Jan 27, 2018 7:34 AM in response to sephcast

I have the same thing on my Vizio P65-E.

Coincidentally, people have posted about a similar issue in 2014 with iTunes on the mac. I wonder if there's some common factor to the problem. I've noticed also that on the Apple TV the issue appears when calling up the menu as well (just like people noticed on their mac in the link below).

Re: Black levels / contrast change with subtitles

I submitted feedback to Apple.

Mar 11, 2018 6:15 AM in response to sephcast

Have samme issue. Got Samsung KS9000. So far i have noticed it in all Harry Potter movies.

Happens when i either bring up HUD or have subtitles enabled. Since english is not my native language iit makes the movies inwatchable in HDR for me. Tuning off HDR om Apple tv solves the issue.

Interesting i have 3 other 4k Dolby Vision titles:

Pacific Rim

Star Trek into darkness

Ninjago the Movies

And they are not affected by the issue. This leads me to think there's something wrong with how certain movies are handled or how they are encoded.

Perhaps in the way subtitle overlay are rendered on them?

Very annoying and prvents me from investing in the Eco system any further before issue is resolved.

Issue with HDR & Subtitles on Apple TV 4K - Black Levels Shifting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.