Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Painfully Slow!

My MacBook Pro has all of the sudden gotten painfully slow. I'm not sure if i got a virus or if it's dying?!

I ran Malwarebytes, and that came back as nothing found. However, i'm not sure how updated the program is because my macbook is a 2012 (but i think i bought it in 2013).

Question - Should i bring it to the Apple store to have them look at it, or buy a new computer? It's so slow, i can't even research new computers on it!!! It also takes a while too boot up. I do have close to 10000 pictures in iPhoto, but my storage isn't even half full.

If it doesn't go a little fast, it's going out the window lol

Thoughts?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 5:02 PM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2017 5:09 PM in response to Regina100

painfully slow computers sometimes are so slow because their Hard drive is dying. If you do not have a Trusted backup, that should be your top priority, or soon you may have no pictures at all.

Once you have done that, this little non-invasive Utility provides a good view of what is going on inside your mac without revealing any personally-identifiable information:

using etrecheck

Dec 8, 2017 6:33 PM in response to Regina100

Time Machine is built into MacOS. If you are using another backup method that you prefer, that is great. If not, you need to take steps to acquire an external drive as soon as possible. If you buy one, a drive 2 to 3 times or larger that your boot drive is preferable for long term trouble-free operation. Do not pay extra for a drive that is fast. (You can get by for a while with a "found" smaller drive if necessary, but it will eventually become annoying).

Attach your external drive and use

System preferences > Time Machine ...

... to turn on Time Machine. It may ask to initialize the new drive, and that is as expected.

Time Machine will then spend all afternoon making your first full backup. You can continue to do your regular work while it does this. The first Full Backup is by far the biggest backup. After that, it will work quietly and automatically in the background, without interrupting your regular work, and only save the incremental changes.

Time machine's "claim to fame" is that it is the backup that gets done, because it does not ruin performance of the rest of the computer while doing its backup operations. When you need it, it is much more likely to be there.

Painfully Slow!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.