Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image capture what does the “keep originals” option do?

I am in the process of importing photos from my iphone to my Mac using Image Capture. But I have a question. At the bottom left, there are two checkboxes—one that says “delete after import” and the other “keep originals”. Aren’t those opposite things? Yet I’m able to check both of them, so that can’t be right.

I do want to delete after import, but before I proceed I want to be sure of what “keep originals” does to see if that’s an option I want. I’m a bit cautious when it comes to my photos.

If anybody has any information or thoughts, I’d appreciate it!

User uploaded file

Mac Mini, late 2014

macOS 10.13.2

iPhone SE

iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 10:25 PM

After conferring with a friend, I think “keep originals” is referring to photos that were edited on my phone. I never edit my photos so that threw me off. Anyway, I went ahead and imported the photos with both options checked, and as expected the photos were deleted off my phone as they were being imported into the mac. I didn’t check but if I did any edits, I’m sure both the edited versions and the originals were imported.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2017 10:25 PM in response to oregonjoe

After conferring with a friend, I think “keep originals” is referring to photos that were edited on my phone. I never edit my photos so that threw me off. Anyway, I went ahead and imported the photos with both options checked, and as expected the photos were deleted off my phone as they were being imported into the mac. I didn’t check but if I did any edits, I’m sure both the edited versions and the originals were imported.

image capture what does the “keep originals” option do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.