Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple guest user accounts

Hi ,

I am using a MacBook Pro with High Sierra (10.13.1).

Up until yesterday, I had one Admin User Account (User 1 shown below) and a Guest User Account enabled. I recently added a General User Account (User 2) to my system. After restarting, I dont know why but a second Guest User Account has popped up and is visible on the log in screen. This new Guest Account has a distorted image and is probably encrypted or something because it asks for a password to log in.

Also, I do not exactly know how this issue happened, so cannot really throw in steps as to how it happened.

I did find a URL which mentions about this issue which talks of a possible workaround, but doesnt tag a reported bug for the same. macos - Why do I have two Guest Users? - Ask Different

If I disable a Guest Account in Users& Groups, even then this distorted looking Guest account is still there. Perhaps someone knows about this and could help.

Thanks

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), User Account - Probably a Bug

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 6:55 PM

Open Terminal from Spotlight:

Once there type the following sudo command:

sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest

then, enter your password the you use to log in to your system as an administrator, and press the Return key

Finally, Restart the computer, and the icon will be gone.

2 replies

Dec 8, 2017 7:23 PM in response to Thubredhal

Thanks. This solved my problem, and it is the same which is mentioned in the URL I included in the question above. I could have followed the same URL above and removed the account, however, what I am also interested in knowing is why this happens, and if its a known bug/issue or not. So if you know why this happens please do share that as well.

Multiple guest user accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.