Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus camera flash doesn't work in cold?

It appears as though the iPhone 8 Plus camera flash doesn't work when the phone gets cold. My fiancé and I were just at a Christmas light display where it was ~36 deg Fahrenheit outside and after being outside for only a short amount of time (probably 10 minutes or so) the flash on the camera no longer worked. It would weakly flicker twice but not actually flash, leading to very dark pictures. My fiancé's 8 Plus was doing the same thing and we ran into another couple who was also having the same problem with theirs, so it doesn't appear to be an isolated incident.

I tried hard-resetting the phone which did nothing and after remembering the issues I had with my 6s Plus shutting off in the cold I was wondering if it could be a thermal issue again. So I turned the flashlight on and put it in my pocket to let the sensor area of the phone warm up, and what do you know, the camera flash magically worked again....

Not sure if it's hardware or software related (hopefully software...), but this is unacceptable from a premium device that I paid in excess of $800 for while other people's cheap-o Androids were flashing away just fine.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 5:53 AM

Ironically, I’m having the exact same issue and also discovered it at Christmas light event earlier this week. I’m hoping that it is software. Please also go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and submit this as a bug.

Please advise if you’ve been able to get any additional info from Apple on this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 5:53 AM in response to HokieKris10

Ironically, I’m having the exact same issue and also discovered it at Christmas light event earlier this week. I’m hoping that it is software. Please also go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and submit this as a bug.

Please advise if you’ve been able to get any additional info from Apple on this.

iPhone 8 Plus camera flash doesn't work in cold?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.