Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install macOS Sierra file copy issue.

I have "Install macOS Sierra" downloaded in my App folder. I moved it off of my SSD to another drive. It said it was moving it, but it did not. Now I have two copies of it on two different drives. If I delete EITHER one of them, it deletes them both. Any tips on getting this to behave as expected. One copy on the 2nd drive and zero copies in my App folder.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 7:09 PM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2017 8:11 PM in response to Kappy

So I tried it this way. Doing so creates a copy in the other folder as expected, but also creates a second copy of it in the Apps folder. This "second set" behaves just like the first. When I delete the newly created 2nd copy in the Apps folder it also deletes the copy it made in the other folder. Any time I make a copy to a different location, it also creates another copy of it in the Apps folder. This is not the expectation of a normal file move or copy operation. Apparently Apple has done something to this file that is causing this behavior. They appear to be complete copies, as their size is the same at almost 5 GB, and each copy or move operation takes about 5 minutes to complete, so I don't think any aliasing is going on. It does seem that some kind of file linking magic crap is occuring though.

Dec 9, 2017 2:31 AM in response to OldSchoolAdmin

Well guys, all is well now, as this was a self-inflicted problem. I can't believe I fell for this, but it happened.

Here is how.

1. I typed "Sierra" into Spotlight and clicked "Open in Finder".

2. I opened another Finder window to create a new folder and moved the file to it.

3. Guess what, the Finder window that Spotlight opens up is updated in real time, so every copy I made was popping up there under "Applications", regardless of the real file location.

4. You can see how this became a circular problem once I started deleting copies and they appeared to be deleting two at a time, even though that isn't what was actually happening.

5. When I was looking at the file info I should have paid more attention to the file location path, but I was focusing on the file size instead to rule out a file alias.

6. Basically, Finder was behaving like it was supposed to, I just wasn't expecting the result and focused in the wrong direction. My bad...Thanks for helping, it's always appreciated.

Install macOS Sierra file copy issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.