Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro stuck on log in OS 10.13.1

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with the max amount of RAM, running OS 10.13.1. After the .1 update was downloaded, my Mac became stuck at boot - reaching the login screen and then the progress bar moving very slowly until reaching the end, but never moving from there into launching.

I have studied all the similar posts here and elsewhere on the internet and followed the advice there - reset PRAM, etc, and tried to re-install the OS from the recovery partition. Nothing works. Disk First Aid reveals nothing wrong with my HD.

One other strange thing is that I cannot get it to start in Safe Mode - or at least the startup follows exactly the same pattern when I try - forever hanging at the point where the progress bar has reached maximum. I have left it at that perpetual loading point for an entire day, just to see if it might finally click, as some have said was their experience - but nothing.

I have at least 100 Gb free on my HD and it has been scanned virus free.

I’ve been an Apple user since the II E in the 80s, so I’m fairly confident I know my way around the OS and have dealt with plenty of problems over the years. I am tempted to think this is just one of the glitchy problems that have turned up in Apple’s latest suite of OS updates - including the very buggy iOS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2017 12:37 PM

Latest news on this issue is that I have done a clean re-install of High Sierra using a USB boot drive.

MacBook working perfectly - apart from the fact that this initially didn’t strike me as a hardware problem, and that the HD passed multiple hardware checks - this confirms for me that this problem was purely software.

This was hardly the best solution, as I’ve lost most of my data and now have to reinstall all of my software - but the state of the computer left me no other choice (restarting and attempting to restore from backups also failed).

I’ve changed all settings to ensure that software updates will *not* automatically install, as this is the reason my computer turned into a paperweight (the 10.13.2 update...)

I’m happy that I won’t have to replace my Mac - but I’m also very nearly at the point where I see no difference between Windows and MacOS anymore, in terms of reliability and integrity. That goes increasingly for iOS and tvOS. That’s a pretty bad place for Apple to have gotten themselves to.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2017 12:37 PM in response to a1khole

Latest news on this issue is that I have done a clean re-install of High Sierra using a USB boot drive.

MacBook working perfectly - apart from the fact that this initially didn’t strike me as a hardware problem, and that the HD passed multiple hardware checks - this confirms for me that this problem was purely software.

This was hardly the best solution, as I’ve lost most of my data and now have to reinstall all of my software - but the state of the computer left me no other choice (restarting and attempting to restore from backups also failed).

I’ve changed all settings to ensure that software updates will *not* automatically install, as this is the reason my computer turned into a paperweight (the 10.13.2 update...)

I’m happy that I won’t have to replace my Mac - but I’m also very nearly at the point where I see no difference between Windows and MacOS anymore, in terms of reliability and integrity. That goes increasingly for iOS and tvOS. That’s a pretty bad place for Apple to have gotten themselves to.

Dec 10, 2017 1:50 AM in response to a1khole

I do have the same problem. Been busy with Apple support for the last 3 days. The problem is that in the startupboot after "Wating for DSMOS" the system crashed on creating Process (305) etc. That creates a loop and a very slow startup but never ends. This all happens after the release of the latest bug fixing in High Sierra. I'm not pleased!

Dec 12, 2017 9:26 PM in response to ellenvandertorren

Thanks for that reply, ellenvanderto - this is the closest thing to an ‘answer’ I’ve received.

Still no progress with my machine. Sorry to hear about the others that are having the same problem.

Really not good enough, Apple. People shouldn’t be treated as though they have a spare few thousand to just buy a new computer when glitchy software crashes their machines and there’s no fix...

MacBook Pro stuck on log in OS 10.13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.