Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Cellular capability for Americans living overseas

I am a service member living overseas. Is it possible for my US bought Apple watch series 3 gps and cellular work with my telecom cellular plan?

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 9:20 PM

3 replies

Dec 9, 2017 4:08 AM in response to mbmibelle

Hi

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) is not locked to any specific carrier and has a built-in eSIM that copies information from the iPhone's SIM card.

The built-in cellular features require a carrier plan for your iPhone in your country of use that specifically includes support for Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), including the carrier activating the device on the plan.

If buying Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) in one country to use in another, then, in order to use the built-in cellular feature, you would need to buy a model that supports the relevant LTE and UMTS bands for your intended country of use and your supported carrier there.

There are three different regional versions of Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), each supporting different LTE and UMTS bands, as detailed here:

Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

If in doubt, I suggest that you contact your preferred intended carrier to ask whether any given model can be used on their network with a plan that they may offer or plan on offering for iPhone that supports Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular).

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) can also be used without activating the built-in cellular feature, in which case it functions like a GPS-only model.

The built-in cellular features cannot be used when roaming. Also keep in mind that warranty service availability may be restricted.

Apple Watch Cellular capability for Americans living overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.