Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Migration Assistant to transfer files from old Mac to new Mac

When I use Migration Assistant to transfer files from my old Mac to the new Mac, are all the applications and datas, including those that will not be able to work on the new Mac, will be transferred? Do I need to look through and delete all these old applications before I do the transfer?

AppleTV 2, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 8:46 PM

2 replies

Dec 8, 2017 9:13 PM in response to ckfromwa

Pretty much everything will be transferred that is in the backup. You don't have to delete anything, but doing some house keeping never hurts.

Just as a note: You can choose very general categories to migrate and to not migrate. For example, you are able to choose to migrate your applications folder or not if you don't want to. There are other folders too, I unfortunately just don't remember what they are.

Once again, I recommend just weeding out the old things you don't want and then backing up and restoring.

Hope I helped.

Dec 9, 2017 9:15 PM in response to Brazilian.Waffle

Thank you for the reply. When I trash an application, will the extension and preferences that go with it be automatically deleted, too? Some of these old apps didn't come with an uninstall file. I also took a look at the extension and preference folders. Other than there are lots of files I don't even know what they are, there are duplicates of all kinds -- examples like numerous version updates of Java, inkjet printer prefs, duplicate installation of the same software.... How do I clean these up? And if I don't clean them up, will they be all migrated to the new Mac? I assume the new Mac will override some of the old data, but I definitely don't want all the other outdated stuff there to waste up the storage space. Please advice. Thanks again in advance.

Using Migration Assistant to transfer files from old Mac to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.