Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i made a new @icloud email but it wont let me switch my appleid which is currently a third party email over to

.....The new email. I’ve tried going to the appleid page on Apple and I’ve done all of the steps listed to make the change yourself on the iPhone 7 and no matter how I go about doing this it never works it either says cannot currently change or it says you cannot use @icloud.com as your appleid?????

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 7:13 PM

12 replies

Dec 9, 2017 1:20 AM in response to zetincan

zetincan wrote:

You cannot use an icloud email address as an Apple ID.

Yes you can - Apple says this about the situation where your current ID is a non-Apple address:

'When you change your Apple ID, you can enter another third-party email address. Or you can enter an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already associated with your account.'

and

'Your former Apple ID that ends with a third-party email, becomes an additional email address for your Apple ID account.'

https://support.apple.com/HT202667

If it's not working for the OP then either there is a glitch going on,or there's a factor we're not aware of.

Dec 9, 2017 1:29 AM in response to Ianrobert

Ianrobert wrote:

Yes, I am, I even tried to go on to the appleid web page and do it that way and when I tried to change it there it said that this email is an alias of your current Apple ID.... the email is the same just with a different @.com. And yes it has been longer than 30 days. It has been exactly 32 days. Lol.

I'm confused about the section I've highlighted above. By 'this email' I imagine they mean the email you're trying to change to ? 'Same with just a different @com' - ?? If the account after the '@' is from a different provider then it's irrelevant whether the text before the '@' is the same.

An @icloud.com address cannot be an alias of a third-party address. If you've been a member long enough and have an @me.com and possibly an @mac.com address with the tame text before the '@' as the @icloud.com address then these are regarded as aliases of the latter. If you have an @me.com address then that, or the @icloud.com address, would be your ID and login since that was the procedure under MobileMe and DotMac. Is that the case, that you have an @me.com version? You can't change that to another address (Apple say that you can change to another Apple address associated with the account, but that turns out not to include email aliases - with a different text before the '@' - and it was always the case that all versions of the primary address could be used as a login.

So the first question is, what is the ID address that you use to login to your iCloud account - don't post the full address, just the part after the '@'.

i made a new @icloud email but it wont let me switch my appleid which is currently a third party email over to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.