Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not open a file

Macbook Pro Sierra 10.13.1

Trying to open a spreadsheet file for numbers. It says "can't be opened right now". Then it gives me the option to restore it from an older version. Well, there is no older version.

Here is what happened

I closed the file and chose not to save it but instead I said to revert changes. At that point it had a hickup.

Numbers version 4.3.1

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 8:36 PM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2017 9:45 PM in response to cfchamp

cfchamp wrote:

I closed the file and chose not to save it but instead I said to revert changes.

There is no "revert changes" command.

There is a "Revert to" command, which is followed by "Browse all versions". This allows you to bring in an older version of the file to work on.

So it appears you never saved any of your work on this file. You will have to start over.

Dec 8, 2017 10:08 PM in response to sberman

Allow me to explain it in another way.

1) I opened my spreadsheet file (same file I open every day)

2) made changes to my spreadsheet

3) closed the file

4) just before it closed the file, It asked me what I wanted to do: REVERT CHANGES ; CANCEL; SAVE

5) I chose the REVERT CHANGES option

6) at that point there was a malfunction

7) Now when I open it or try to open it, it says "file can't be opened right now."

Dec 11, 2017 10:36 AM in response to cfchamp

Ok. In System Preferences : General, you have checked Ask to keep changes when closing documents.

This disables Autosave in those applications (e.g Numbers) that would autosave document changes if the above were not checked. When you click Revert Changes, you are agreeing to trash the work that you just accumulated since you opened the document. You should have checked Save, to avoid losing your work.

If Numbers just happened to crash when you clicked Revert Changes, then either the file is permanently damaged, and you will need to get if from a Time Machine backup, or Numbers thinks the document is damaged and is being stupid. In the latter case, press and hold the shift key when you start Numbers. Then try opening the same file again.

Can not open a file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.