Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move a Section Break?

I have a Pages v.4.3 (iWork ‘09) document, created with facing pages, in which one of the chapters (Section) ends at the end of a right hand page. In other words, a Section Break occurs at the end of that page. The following (left hand) page is blank and the text for the next chapter (Section) begins on the next right hand page.

The above mentioned left hand page is not only blank but it is not available for adding more text and/or images.

How do I go about changing that left hand blank page to one which will accept text such that it will now become the last page of the previous chapter (Section) without affecting the following Sections?

I am afraid of deleting the Section break for fear of screwing up all of the following chapters (Sections).

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 7:59 PM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2017 11:34 PM in response to Ralphjh

Hi Ralph,

Start by making a copy of your document so that you'll have a fall back if things got badly.

At the section break, your document currently looks like this:

User uploaded file

As you have Sections set to start on a recto (right hand) page, the even numbered page following the section break (red oval) is empty, an can't be used.

Working with the copy, go to the page where you inserted a section break.

Place the insertion point at the end of the text before the section break.

Insert a page break.

User uploaded file

The Page break forces a new page (which in this case, just makes the un-useable page created by the section break useable), while the section break, pushed down onto a verso (left hand page) creates a new section beginning on the following page. With the verso page now in the upper section and no longer in limbo between the two sections, it becomes useable, and can accept graphic objects (or text in a text box) anywhere on the page, and new 'body' text placed before the section break.

Regards,

Barry

NOTE: Done in Pages 4.3 (Pages '09), which supports Facing Pages, and distinguishes between verso and recto (left and right) pages.

Dec 9, 2017 11:56 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for the response.

I believe I understand your suggestion and it makes sense. When I do as you suggest, that is, insert a page break before the section break, it will make the blank (verso) page useable and move the section break down to that blank page as you suggested. However, when I do that, the image on the first page of the following section moves down a page and that page is now populated with text from below. I haven’t checked all of the images, but it appears that all images have changed position.

In the Inspector, all of my images are “Floating (doesn’t move with text)” and “Object causes wrap” is checked and the last box is selected. Text only appears above and below all of the images.

One more bit of info: I did not use page breaks for many of my pages. New pages were created by using a Return or two at the end of the text on a given page.

Also, FWIW, this document is very much the same configuration of a previous successful Pages project with the exception that I permitted text wrap around images in that prior document.

Dec 9, 2017 12:11 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hello Ian,

The Section tab in the Inspector has check marks before “First page is different” and “Left and right pages are different.” Also, Section starts on: Right Page, as intended.

Only one Section of my document has the situation described in my original post. All of the other Sections permit text and images on the last (left hand) page of the Section.

Dec 9, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Ralphjh

The rules (even pages on left, odd pages on the right) decree the layout, but you should be able to enter text on the blank page, continuing from the previous.

Insert a Page Break if you need one on the previous page to get to the blank page. Using multiple spaces, tabs and returns to position text and inline objects is a bad habit that makes bad layouts and problems resolving positioning.

Nothing should be stopping you having floating objects, unless you have an invisible object with TextWrap set, or your widows and orphans rule makes a very large object impossible to fit on the page.

Peter

Dec 9, 2017 5:16 PM in response to Ralphjh

Hi Ralph,

"When I insert a page break before the section break, the image on the first page of the following section moves down a page and that page is now populated with text from below."

Guessing here: when a section ends on a right page, and the next is required to start on a right page, it appears that Pages inserts a 'virtual' page between them. That would explain your not being able to put anything on it, and could also explain the images moving when an inserted page break (or additional text above the section break) causes generation of a 'real' page to replace the 'virtual' one as soon as there is any 'text' (including an invisible character, such as the section break) on that page.

In the Inspector, all of my images are “Floating (doesn’t move with text)” and “Object causes wrap” is checked and the last box is selected. Text only appears above and below all of the images.

'Inline" images are pinned to a specific location in the line of body text that runs from the top of the document to it's end. If that position in the line of text changes with respect to the document, then the object moves with the text to the new position. 'Floating' images (and other 'Floating' objects) are pinned to a specific location in the document—'this far' below and 'that far' to the right of the document's 'Home' location (top left corner). It's more complicated than that, actually, but 'this far' and 'that far' will serve as a first approximation.

One more bit of info: I did not use page breaks for many of my pages. New pages were created by using a Return or two at the end of the text on a given page.

Page breaks are needed only when you want to leave a large portion of the bottom of a page free from text. Otherwise, setting the "Space after Paragraph" and 'widows and orphans' controls will do a more consistent job of spacing text on a page. As Peter notes, it's generally a bad idea to use repeated spaces, repeated tabs or repeated returns as a formatting tool. My instructions to upper elementary kids learning word processing was to never press any of these three keys twice or more in a row (and to always press command-S when you were going to leave the keyboard). The command-S is less important now with most applications automatically saving (after the first Save, which gives the file a name and a location).

Also, FWIW, this document is very much the same configuration of a previous successful Pages project with the exception that I permitted text wrap around images in that prior document.

The button choice makes a difference only in the location of the area avoided by the wrapped text.

Regards,

Barry

How to move a Section Break?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.