Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't all of my pictures save to icloud?

I am having problems backing up photos from iphone 6s to icloud. (My mom's phone.) She doesn't understand technology so she hadn't backed her phone up for a year. I backed it up to icloud today before I gave her my old iphone 7. When I restored from the backup it didn't bring all of her pictures through. I went on my mac to icloud.com and sure enough, it didn't back all of them up. It only did about half of them. I backed up a second time to icloud, and they still just aren't in there. She is missing a year's worth of pictures in icloud. Both phones have all icloud photo settings turned on and both are updated to the latest software. She also has plenty of icloud storage since I made her purchase the 50gb. I don't know what else to do. PLEASE HELP! (I know several ways to transfer them to make sure they aren't lost, but I am trying to figure this out for the next time so I won't have to do this again.)

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2, null

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 10:02 PM

6 replies

Dec 9, 2017 10:53 AM in response to emilyd1408

Photos are only included in backups in some circumstances.

You can turn the iCloud backup of Photos on and off at Settings > Apple ID(Top) > iCloud > Storage > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > This Device > Choose Data To Backup > Photos.

However, that option is only available if your iCloud Photo Library option at Settings > Photos & Camera > iCloud Photo Library is off. If it's turned on your photos aren't included in backups.

If you backup through iTunes, if iCloud Photo Library is turned on, again, photos don't get included in backups, but if it's off photos are automatically included in backups, i.e. there isn't an option to turn their backup off.

I guess the theory goes that your photos are already in the cloud anyway if you use iCloud Photo Library and that there may be some sort of conflict if you restore photos from a backup while they are synced to iCloud Photo Library. But whilst this makes sense, personally, I still like to backup my photos which I do by using Time Machine to Backup the library on my Mac.

Why won't all of my pictures save to icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.