Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tail end of "Setting up your Mac" on every restart

After applying the High Sierra 10.13.2 update, I now get the end of the "Setting up your Mac" process (the animated screen with the checkboxes). Sometimes it asks me to answer the diagnostics question again, too.

Possibly related, but: now on every restart I also have to pull the Siri icon out of the Dock again.

I've run Disk Utility after restarting with the Repair disk, but it doesn't seem to make a difference; this still happens. If I were kicking it old school (with an older OS), I'd try permissions repair. 😐 Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

sandra

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 16GB RAM

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 10:35 PM

5 replies

Jan 2, 2018 9:11 AM in response to Sandra Guzdek

Update: I downloaded macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 from the support site and re-installed it, hoping that it would correct any issues that occurred during the original installation. It did not help--this issue is still happening on every restart. And Siri reappears in the Dock, too.

I'm looking through the system log for any clues to what could be going on, but there is so much to look at, and I have no idea what to look for. This is so frustrating. 😟

Jan 9, 2018 6:33 AM in response to Sandra Guzdek

Hello Sandra,

I had the exact same problem. I solved by following those steps:

Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

After step number 8 i removed the icons from the dock (I had siri, books, maps that kept coming back) and rebooted. I got the "Setting up your mac" one more time, but no more icons this time. Another reboot and ALL good 😉 Hope you can solve too!

Dec 8, 2017 11:06 PM in response to Sandra Guzdek

Since I cannot edit the first paragraph, I wanted to clarify (added the underlined text):

After applying the High Sierra 10.13.2 update, I now get the end of the "Setting up your Mac" process (the animated screen with the checkboxes) every time I restart the computer. Sometimes it asks me to answer the diagnostics question again, too. The desktop then continues to load normally without issue (doesn't hang or freeze up). It feels like the OS is not considering the update fully applied/installed.

Tail end of "Setting up your Mac" on every restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.