Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd carrier/unlock situation

So, I bought an iPhone 7 plus on eBay. Yes, I'm aware, I'm an idiot. Should've checked the IMEI first. The seller (who won't answer my messages, so no luck there) claimed that the phone was an ATT network phone, and it's been working fine on ATT's prepaid setup for almost a year, no issues. However, I was looking to put the phone on a new, contract carrier, so I did an IMEI check, and lo and behold, my phone is supposedly locked to KDDI out of Japan! Struck me as weird. So, I'm curious to see if this has happened to anyone else, and what the best course of action would be. Again, the phone has been working fine for almost a year, even while supposedly locked to a foreign carrier. Is it actually unlocked, and the IMEI services I've used are wrong, or is KDDI more "open" about these things, or is my phone magic?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 9:43 PM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2017 4:24 AM in response to peveret1

The short answer is there is no easy way to know what the situation actually is.

You need to review the description of the item of Ebay and if the phone does not reflect the description open a dispute with Ebay for an "item not as described." If it does match the description, then your best option, if it does not meet your needs, is to sell it and to describe it accurately in the listing.

Trying to resolve locking issues is unlikely to be productive.

Odd carrier/unlock situation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.